The Pool Party

"This one's cute," Bom giggled, holding one of her bikini's up to my body. I looked at all the thin strings hanging off of the two pieces of clothing, and shrunk back.

"I don't know...," I murmured shyly, "It's a little..."

"A little..."

"Exposing," I said, eyeing the bathing suit nervously.

Bom sighed and chuckled quietly to herself as Chaelin sat down beside me on one of two beds in their room. "Come on, Jae. You've said that to at least five of our swimsuits by now."

"It's true," I said, "I don't have the right body for it. I'm not a perfect idol like you, you know."

"Well you will today," she told me, patting a hand on my back. Rummaging through her suitcase, she pulled out one black and white striped bikini. Holding it out to me, she said, "Here, take this. It's my last one. You don't take this one, you're not going."

"I'll try to make it work," I assured her, grabbing the bathing suit in my hands.

I quickly stepped into the bathroom and slipped the bathing suit I was currently wearing down to the ground. In no time at all, I had changed into the final bathing suit. I reentered the main room, displaying my body for them to judge. The moment they laid eyes upon me, they started to smile. Dara stood up from her perch on the arm chair in the corner and pranced up to me. Prodding my stomach, she squealed, "Ah, look at you! You look like a model in that one!"

"I think it's the best one so far," Minzy chimed in.

"I second that," Bom called out.

"Well?" Chaelin asked, "Do you like it?"

I pulled at the push-up bra styled top and the tied, black bottoms. Although I wasn't comfortable with my body at all, especially around a crowd of supermodels and idols, it would have to do. Nodding to them, I answered, "Yeah. Yeah, I think I'll stick with this one."

"Great," Chaelin cheered with a smile.

Throwing on a t-shirt and some shorts over it, I turned to the four girls and thanked them. "Gomawo."

"You're very welcome," Dara replied, bowing her head to me. As she and the other girls headed for the door, she called, "Enjoy the party."

"I will."

I followed them out of the room, but just before I could cross the threshold, I felt a hand push me back. Shocked by the sudden movement, I stumbled backwards and let out a muted gasp. As I regained my balance, I heard the click of a door shutting and footsteps heading in my direction. "Not so fast, Jae. We've got something to talk about."

My gaze lifted to meet Chaelin's. She sat down on the bed and motioned for me to sit beside her. I complied without a word. Looking her straight in the eyes, I asked, "What do you need to talk to me about?"

"You know," she answered, giving me an uneasy look. I immediately picked up on her hint and nodded silently.

"The scandal?"

"Yeah."

"What about it?" I asked. Why was she so uncomfortable?

"I heard that this young girl named Park Min Ae is managing your scandal. By the looks of it, she's doing a pretty good job," she told me.

"Yeah, she's been helping me for a while now. She's been keeping the media at bay, and things are getting a bit better for Jiyong and I," I explained, a feeling of pride washing over me.

"That's good to hear," she replied, her look of unease not ceasing to leave her face.

"Maybe, if things die down enough, we won't need to make a distraction scandal anymore," I cried, jumping up in excitement. My heart began to race, its rapid beats fueled by hope. Could this scandal really just end up as nothing more than a distant thought? The mere prospect of the mess just disappearing seemed like a dream come true.