Broken

I laced my fingers together and placed them behind my head. With a deep sigh, I reclined back against the couch. My breathing began to steadily slow down, and my eyelids slid downwards until my eyelashes had completely blocked out my vision. Peaceful darkness enveloped me and the noises around me eventually began to fade away.

Tonight felt like any other night. The constant buzz of staff members backstage and the pounding, electric music on stage was in the air as usual, and the hurried footsteps echoed throughout the halls. Nothing about tonight felt special, except for one thing. Tonight was the last Europe concert. It was the last concert before we were to up sticks and fly over to the U.S.

Right now, the concert was coming to a close, but it felt as if we had only started. Now that the end of the tour was approaching, everything seemed to be moving far too fast for my taste. The wild concerts, the back-breaking rehearsals, and the occasional parties all whizzed by me, and it was almost impossible to take it all in. What would happen once the tour was over? Would I have to find new clients or would I be asked to stay? The returning question never ceased to infiltrate my mind and block out any other thoughts.

Suddenly, the sound of echoing footsteps and angry shouts interrupted the peace within me. My eyes instantly shot open, and I pushed myself into a sitting position. The commotion seemed to be nearby, maybe a few hallways away. After a while, the shouts grew louder, and I knew that whoever was arguing was coming closer. I dashed up to the door and pressed my ear to its cold surface. I didn't want to risk getting in their way, so I simply remained inside my dressing room.

I could hear the footsteps traveling down the hallway towards me. They zipped right by, and unfortunately for me, I couldn't identify their voices. They were moving too fast. Overwhelmed by curiosity, I cautiously pushed the door open and entered the now empty hallway. I cupped a hand over my ear and tried to catch wind of the distant shouts. Nothing. They were gone.

But I wasn't done yet. Instead, I broke into a steady jog in the direction they were headed down this hallway. It was the only lead I had, after all. Once I reached the end, I was lucky enough to find that there was only way to turn. I rounded the corners and several after that. I occasionally came across forks in the road, which I simply guessed on the path the others before me had taken.

After a few minutes of progressing and backtracking, I picked up a faint series of shouts. This time, there were no footsteps. Trusting in my ears to lead me, I followed the shouts down a number of hallways. When the shouts were at their loudest, I was standing before a run down door. The paint of the walls were peeling off in curls and the metal doors were a bit rusted. I could tell that this was definitely deep into the backstage compound. It was probably used for storage, judging by all the random crates and shelves lining the walls.

The voices, I now realized, belonged to two males, and neither of them seemed to be very happy with one another. I silently moved over to the door, which was cracked open about an inch, and pressed my face to see inside the room. The moment I got a good view, a slapped a hand over my mouth to prevent myself from gasping. It was Jiyong and Seunghyun! Jiyong was sitting on a large wooden crate, while Seunghyun was shoving a finger in his face.

"Don't lie to me! You and Jae are up to something! I'm not as stupid as you think!" Seunghyun bellowed. Although I couldn't see his face, I was sure it was boiling with rage.

"It's nothing, hyung! I swear!" Jiyong cried in defense. His words sounded fearful, but instead, it sounded a little vexed.

"Don't call me that!" Seunghyun growled. Jabbing Jiyong's chest with his finger, he hissed, "I'm not your hyung anymore."

"Then what are you?"

"I'm your enemy! Don't think that I don't know what you're trying to pull!" Seunghyun shouted. He was on his wit's end. If I didn't do something, things could get out of hand.