Little Brother Knows Best

"Woah, woah, woah. Deep breaths, Jae, deep breaths." My brother, Jae-Sun, was sitting adjacent to me in the small corner booth of an old, western barbecue restaurant. Unlike me, he coolly sipped from his Bloody Mary and twirled the thin straw around through the reddish beverage. It was great to be back in Korea where I could spend one-on-one time with him, but the concerts in the States seemed to have gone by at lightning speed. When I had relaxed a bit, he said, "Good. Now, start from the beginning again, but this time, try not to flip out."

I sucked in a deep breath and nodded. "Okay, okay. So, the night before I left for Japan, Jiyong threw a party, and we-"

"You had sex," Jae-Sun deadpanned, "Yeah, I got that much. Moving on."

"Jae-Sun!" I hissed through my clenched teeth. I was so tempted to slap a hand over his loud mouth. "Not so loud!"

"Sorry," he chuckled, "I just couldn't resist."

"The moment we get home, I am so kicking your ass." I groaned in embarrassment and rolled my eyes as he started to snicker.

"Go ahead."

"I will." When he didn't say anything else, I continued to explain my story. "In a nutshell, we were really close and comfortable until Seunghyun threw himself into the picture. That's when everything started to plummet downhill, and I was stuck balancing two relationships at once."

"Ooh, cheating is involved? Hold on, hold on. Let me get some popcorn. This could be the best real life story turned soap opera yet!" my little brother squealed excitedly.

"I don't need your commentary," I snapped. Sighing, I explained, "As I was saying, Seunghyun got involved, and Jiyong eventually found about my other relationship and dumped me. Honestly, I deserved it. I was dishonest and stupid, and he had every right to break ties. So I tried to apologize to him, and he told me he wanted to accept it, but he couldn't for my sake. As stupid as that sounds, that's what he said. Geez, if he wanted to do things for my sake, he would accept my apology."

"Are you telling me that you're visiting me to ask for relationship advice?" he asked after a moment of silence. I nodded. Clearing his throat, he sat up straight and announced, "Alright, enough joking around. Dr. Jae-Sun is here to heal your broken heart."

"It's about time," I muttered.

"So," he said, resting his elbows on the the table, "tell me about this Seunghyun character."

I did as he asked, and as I explained in immense detail everything I knew about him, Jae-Sun let out a few "mm hmm's" and a couple "ahh's." When I was finished, he simply stared at me as if he was processing the information I had just given him one bit at a time. He eventually began to nod and then speak. "It seems to me like this guy is diving head first into the relationship. Far too fast for my taste. And he's very attracted to yourself, judging by all the physical moves he's made on you. That can come off as intimidating."

I didn't respond. I just bobbed my head before going on to talk about Jiyong. Again, Jae-Sun mumbled a couple words of interest under his breath while I was talking and waited a moment before opening his mouth. "Jiyong seems a bit paranoid about Seunghyun, and I don't blame him. Seunghyun was way to obvious about his feelings, after all. Also, Jiyong sounds like he's very protective of you."

"Okay, so what can you conclude?" I asked anxiously. It sounded like he was on to something.

"Well, I can definitely say that neither of the two are perfect, despite what millions of fangirls say.

"Wow, Jae-Sun, thanks for the positive support," I sighed with extreme sarcasm.

"Well you have to understand that while they both have flaws in different areas, they both seem to really care about you. Seunghyun may jump in to fast, but he does love you as a person inside as well as outside, and Jiyong might be overprotective, but he just wants to make sure you're safe by his side," Jae-Sun explained.