Evil Eye

A short jingle played as I entered the restaurant. It was a small shop with barely any customers inside. A woman quietly leaned against a podium, holding a couple menus in one hand and her phone in the other. Her disinterest in her job was so apparent in her body language that it was almost amusing. Hopefully the service wouldn't be as poor as her attention span.

As I approach her, she slowly lowers her phone and lifts her head to look at me. I give her a polite smile as she places her phone in her pocket, paying full attention to me.

"Welcome," the woman said coldly. She didn't even bother to try being friendly. "Follow me."

I nodded as she led me past the podium and into the main area of the restaurant. There were only about four tables occupied out of the many available tables. Faint music played in the background, but other than that, the place was practically silent. Not to mention, everyone seemed frozen solid. There was hardly any movement, except the occasional waiters and waitresses coming out to serve a customer.

It didn't take long before we reached my table. The woman set down one menu in front of me as I sat down. I thanked her, but she simply set her hands on her hips and sighed. Narrowing her eyes, she examined me up and down before letting out a "hmph." What kind of look was that? It felt like she was judging me. The way she scanned every inch of me sent chills throughout my body. Her icy, cold stare paralyzed me, and I was at a loss for words. Her gaze seemed disappointed, scornful almost.

"Your waiter or waitress will be with you soon." She spat out each word before turning back to the front of the restaurant.

"Alright," I said. But she was already gone.

Shrugging, I open my menu and read through its contents. As I scanned the menu, my stomach rumbled loudly. I didn't realize I was that hungry. I had gotten off of work early, right after Jiyong explained his plan about the distraction scandal and Lee Chaerin. He said he would notify her about his idea right away so he could introduce me to her. Hopefully we could get somewhere with our plan at that point. But until then, I had to wait.

As I continued to scan the dinner options, I realized that I had never been to this particular restaurant before. To be honest, I hadn't been to a sit-down restaurant in a while. I usually just ordered take-out food, since it was much easier. Not to mention, I was an awful cook.

Just as the woman from the front said, a waitress approached me hurriedly. Unlike the first woman, who was cold and rude, this girl was much younger, maybe a high schooler at most. She had a sense of energy in her eyes as she bounded over to me.

"Annyeong! My name is Park Min Ae! I'll be your-"

Suddenly, another waitress walked by her, bumping her shoulder roughly. She gasped and stumbled backwards. Suddenly, the girl caught her by the arm and whispered something in her ear. Instead of looking at Min Ae, she burned her glare directly into my head, as if she was trying to shoot me with her eyes. I just avoided eye contact with her as she pulled away and stomped off.

After that confrontation, Min Ae pressed her lips together. The energy seemed to fade slightly from her eyes, and she slouched a bit. Pulling out a notepad, she murmured, "What would you like to drink?"

"Just water."

"Okay..." She jotted my order down on her notepad, and looked up again to ask, "Would you like to order now?"

"Why not."

"What would you like?"

"Um..." I trailed off as I scanned the menu one last time. "I'll have kimchi fried rice." It wasn't much, but I wasn't that hungry anyways.