Just the Start

Here it was. Tonight was the night. Tonight was the first concert. This concert would kick off the entire tour. Of course, like everyone always said, "No pressure." But that was exactly it. What no pressure really meant was "Good luck in Hell." That's how I felt. Except, it wasn't just the concert that I was worried about. All the stress of conflicting emotions and the infamous scandal were buzzing about in my head.

Every moment of the day, I felt scared to look at my phone. What if Chaelin was warning me? What if there was going to be another outburst but worse than the last time? I didn't know if I could handle that again. It was too painful the first time. I remembered the rapid stream of incoming tweets, linking hatred to my own name. I recalled the sound of shattering glass as I hurled my phone at the floor. No, I definitely didn't want to experience that again.

And then there was Seunghyun and Jiyong. Jiyong, of course, loved me with all his heart, and I loved him. There was no questioning it. But what about Seunghyun? Why did he somehow add into the equation? I would never be with him. Jiyong and I were bound together, and I was certain that wouldn't change. But whenever I locked eyes with Seunghyun or brushed against his smooth skin, it was more than a glance or a touch. Something held me in place, keeping me captive in his presence. I couldn't run. But did I want to?

What was I thinking? I couldn't let that distract me. I had to stay focused for the performances tonight. It had to be absolutely perfect. There was not a single inch of space for mistakes. This was the very first show, and we would make sure to give the fans the best night of their entire lives. As I walked down the halls towards the spot just behind the stage, I couldn't help but smile to myself. I was determined to fight through it all. All of my worries would go away. I just had to tell myself that I wouldn't let my negative thoughts bother me.

I rounded one last corner before I came to a large crowd of people. Artists, staff members, and dancers alike stood around a tall platform. On that platform stood the President. He was talking as loudly as possible to all the people before him. I couldn't quite hear over all the people in the audience outside, so I inched closer. I didn't want to attract too much attention, so I made sure to carefully approach them. As soon as I was close enough, I scurried into the mass of people.

"...and I know that I tell you this every concert. Trust me, you're all ready for this. You've worked hard all year, and you've produced truly amazing pieces of music. Through your talents, you have gathered a large base of supporters, who all appreciate your hard work. They appreciate your quality over quantity songs and your inspiring journeys. And tonight, we will show them how much we appreciate them. We are YG Entertainment. We are family. Fighting!"

"Fighting!" the entire crowd cheered in unison. When the President surveyed the group of excited people, he cracked a small smile. I had never seen him smile, and witnessing it firsthand caused a smile to spread on my own lips. For some reason, his smile inspired hope within me.

As the crowd dispersed, I was able to identify a few faces here and there. Most of the staff were filing out into the hallways, leaving the artists standing there. They all looked like gods and goddesses in the brilliant light of the stadium. Their dazzling outfits gave off a fierce aura, and their unique hairstyles and makeup screamed power. I felt tiny compared to their grand appearance. No wonder they were adored by so many.

"You ready for tonight?" I turned to see Jiyong approaching me. His brown hair was slicked back, and he had a sparkling red dress coat encrusted with jewels. A giant, golden medallion hung from his neck on a golden chain, and tight, black pants clung to his legs. He had a slight touch of makeup on his face, and his perfect skin appeared to be glowing in the light.

"No need to gawk at me," he chuckled, "These aren't real gold or jewels."

I lifted a cautious finger up and barely poked the medallion, which swung back and forth like it weighed less than a feather. He smirked as the realization washed over my face. "What am I? Royalty?"