My Life is Like a Korean Drama

The clock interupted my thoughts every single second it ticked. It was starting to get on my nerves. I needed something to do. The environment around me seemed to be lifeless and dull. The walls were a pale gray color, everyone in the waiting room around me looked worried or on the brink of tears. To be honest, I don't know which I was feeling. Maybe I was in the middle of both.

Last night, I remembered hearing the ambulance siren ringing in my ears, and the muffled footsteps pounding in the hallway outside. I coudn't even bring myself to open the door. I was in too much of a shock. But I had to. So the instant the door creaked open, I was pushed back by dozens of medics. They ordered me to stand back as they lifted him onto a stretcher and jogged out the door. That was the last time I saw him.

And now I was here. I just sat here, watching the door to the hallway full of hospital rooms. He could be in any one of them. I had been waiting for a couple hours for the visiting time to start. Checking the clock above the accountant's office, it read 7:56 AM. Just four more minutes. I was supposed to be at work by now, but my brother was more important.

Soon, a doctor walked into the waiting room. I sprang out of my seat, the hours worth of tension propelling me upwards. I rushed over to him and grabbed his coat like a lunatic.

"Doctor, please, I need to see my brother! His name is Jae-Sun. Do you know where he is?" I asked frantically.

The doctor just looked at me, startled by my sudden approach. After collecting himself he replied, "He's fine. I can take you there if you like."

A smile of relief washed over my face, and I laughed a little bit. "Thank you. Thank you so much!"

Before the door could close, he reached out and pulled it open. I walked through first as he held the door. The air in the hallways had a depressing feeling to it. It wasn't a place that I'd enjoy, and I don't think that Jae-Sun would enjoy it much either. All I could think about was what he could possibly say to me. He would be furious with me, if he was even well enough to convey those emotions. It was my fault he was here. I shouldn't have ran off to that party. I should have stuck to my promise and came home as soon as I could.

After snaking through a maze of halls, the doctor stopped in front of a door with the number 348 on it. He looked to me, but I just nodded my head towards the door. I didn't want to speak to anyone but Jae-Sun. I wanted to save my words for him.

We filed into the room, walking passed a nurse who had been helping him eat a bowl of soup. At the sight of us, she hurried out of the room to give us some space. Jae-Sun was sitting up in his hospital bed staring at me with a blank stare. Immediatley, I rushed over to him and threw my arms out, wrapping him in a tight embrace.

"Jae-Sun, thank god you're alive! I'm so sorry! I never should have left you alone for so long!" I cried.

For a while, neither of us didn't say anything. The silence started to convince me that he was upset. I was afraid to let go and see the hurt in his eyes. But suddenly, I felt a hand rub my back.

He forgave me?

I burried my head into his chest. I wanted to stay there forever, and never let him go. Letting him go would be like leaving him to die. The last thing I wanted was to have him experience another close-to-death scenario. Holding him in my arms made me feel like he was safe from the dangers of his disease.

"It's alright, Jae. It's alright," he soothed me.

I resisted my eternal grasp on him and drew back. I gave him a serious look right into his eyes. "No. No, it's not. How is it 'alright?' I caused this! You wouldn't be in the hospital if it wasn't for me!"