Don't Stray Too Far From the Path

The "click click" sound of my black pumps echoed throughout the hallways as I quickly made my way to the elevator. Every corridor seemed to be longer than the next, causing me to pick up the pace. Every time I heard a noise out of the ordinary, I froze, cautiously scanning the area before proceeding. The last thing I wanted was to be caught sneaking out of the hotel.

Yes, I was sneaking out of the hotel. If anyone saw me wearing fancy evening attire, they'd surely stop to question me. That had to be avoided at all costs. No one, especially Jiyong, could know where I was going. As I rounded another corner, I felt my phone vibrate from within the depths of my purse. Wincing at the disturbing sound, I carefully slipped it out to check who was trying to contact me.

Checking the screen, I found that it was a text from a Seunghyun. It was short and sweet, reminding me that we had a reserved room at some fancy restaurant. I responded with an even shorter message saying that I was on my way. I didn't want to waste any time to get into the details.

After what seemed like hours, I rounded one last corner to find the elevator at the far end of the hallway. Spinning around to make sure the coast was clear, I let out a nervous sigh and proceeded to down the hallway. I had almost made it when a loud ding came from the elevator and the metal doors slid open. I stopped suddenly, unsure what to do, as the doors opened completely to reveal the girls of 2NE1. All four were chatting lively amongst themselves, but upon seeing me, they immediately quieted down.

Eyeing me suspiciously, Chaelin called out, "Jae?"

"Y-Yes?" I stammered.

"What are you doing here in the middle of the night?" the leader questioned, giving me a look of confusion.

"And why are you wearing such nice clothes?" Bom added.

My eyes shifted this way and that as I racked my brain for a response. This was exactly what I was trying to avoid. And I didn't have anything planned if I did get caught. Tugging on the hem of my black cocktail dress, I bit my lip and stared nervously at the girls. Finally, I forced out a couple words. "I, uh, decided to head out to dinner."

"Alone?" Chaelin asked suspiciously.

"Yeah," I confirmed with a shaky nod, "Alone."

"Why the fancy dress if you're going alone?" Dara asked, earning several murmurs of agreement from the others.

"I like dressing up," I answered with a shrug. That was a lie. In fact, I hated dressing up. Wearing extravagant and expensive clothing was so uncomfortable. I preferred a pair of sweatpants and a nice, cozy sweatshirt.

"It must be an expensive restaurant then," Minzy commented, gesturing towards my appearance, "You have the money for that?"

"Y-Yeah," I replied, my calm look starting to falter, "I've been saving it ever since we left Korea. All I have to do is exchange it for the currency here, and I'll be good."

They eyed me for a while as if they were trying to reach into my mind. A shiver ran up my spine, but I remained still as they examined me. After what seemed like hours, they stepped back, nodding in approval. I held in a sigh as Chaelin bowed her head to me, followed by the others. "Have fun," she said with a smile.

I nodded to her as I began to head for the elevator once more. "Thank you. I will."

As we parted ways, my entire body seemed to relax. That was way too close. I almost got caught. If that happened, I don't know what I would've done. How would they react if they found out I was going on a dinner date with Seunghyun? That was why I was trying to avoid his attempts to court me. As I stepped inside the elevator, I let out a heavy breath. I just hoped everything would go according to plan.