Growing Tensions

I woke to the sound of dishes clattering and muffled voices. Checking my phone for the time, I found that it was already 9:00 AM. I couldn't believe I had woken up so late. Hopefully, the boys and the President wouldn't be upset with my carelessness. So far, I hadn't gotten myself into any trouble, and I certainly didn't plan to ever find myself in a sticky situation like the ones I've been avoiding for so long. But luckily for me, I was disciplined to be a responsible and hard-working woman.

So, without rushing, I headed in the direction of the noises, which was most likely the kitchen. I combed through my hair with my fingers as I walked, trying to untangle the knots. Once I reached the kitchen, I gave up and settled for a slightly messy bedhead. Pushing the door open, the sounds became much clearer. All five boys were sitting around the dining table, eating a light breakfast. The moment I entered, they turned to see me leaning against the threshold.

"Morning, Jae," Jiyong greeted. He was always the first one to welcome me. "Sleep well?"

"Once I warmed up, it was pretty comfortable for sleeping on a couch," I admitted.

"Good." Pointing over to the counter, he said, "There's another bowl for you over there. Daesung prepared it, so if you like it, make sure to the thank him."

I nodded as I sleepily walked over to get my food. I picked up the bowl to see that it was Korean-styled ramen. When I touched the outer surface, the heat surged into my fingers. But it wasn't scorching hot. In fact, it was almost the perfect temperature. Grabbing a pair of chopsticks, I quickly carried it over to the last empty seat at the table. Setting the bowl down, I took my seat and began to eat.

Once I had tasted it, I knew that its temperature wasn't the only thing that was perfect. The taste and texture was so close to achieving perfection, it seemed like it belonged in a 5-star restaurant. I smiled and nodded towards Daesung, who had been watching me taste it.

"This is great, Daesung! Did you really make it?" I asked the boy in awe.

He shrugged and replied, "It came in a package, and I just followed the instructions. But I guess I can take a little credit."

I sighed and took another bite before saying, "Oh well. It's good food nonetheless, whether it's made from scratch or from a box."

"Well if you like it that much, you can get some more," Daesung laughed.

"Yeah," Seungri added on. Then, narrowing his eyes, he smirked and said, "Are you going to get all cocky and demand for some more?"

I rolled my eyes. "Oh shut up. That was just once. And besides, you shouldn't be talking. Wasn't it intimidation that I saw in your eyes?"

I smiled triumphantly as they looked at me with their mouths open, searching for the right words. This time, I had them speechless without even trying to be too cocky. I guess it just came to me naturally at times. After a few moments of pure silence, Seunghyun spoke.

"It could've been that," he admitted. Then, looking right into my eyes with that intimidating stare of his, he said, "Or it could've been that we just so happen to have an eye for a challenge."

Staring right at him, I silently challenged him back. He smirked, and we both knew no one had one. So to break our locked stare, I said, "Besides, I just wanted to make sure I'd get a sweatshirt for warmth."

"Well you didn't have to go about it that way," Jiyong said, "You could've simply asked."

"But what's the fun in that?" I asked, pursing my lips.

"Yeah. Come on, Ji," Seunghyun jokingly said to his bandmate, "Cocky Jae is fun."

Leaning over to put my hand on Seunghyun's shoulder, I added, "See? Seunghyun gets it. Just because we're colleagues doesn't mean that we can have a little fun around each other. I'm your friend after all."