Looking Down

The moment I set foot in the pristine airport terminal, everything seemed strangely safe. Of course, I was back in my homeland, the States, which probably made me feel more comfortable. We were currently in the great city of New York, which was still quite far from my home in Los Angeles. However, there was one thing that was still foreign to me in this familiar place.

The rapid flash of cameras on all sides of me interfered with the constant humdrum of the public airport. This time, I had decided to wear sunglasses, which helped me see past the blinding flashes a lot better. Just ahead of me was Soohyun and Chanhyuk of Akdong Musician, and behind me were the girls of 2NE1. Ignoring the screams of the gathering crowd, I scanned up and down the uniform line of YG artists. Soon enough, I found him.

He was, of course, with his bandmates near the front of the line. He wore a green camouflage jacket, a black beanie, some shades, and a pair of dark skinny jeans. Unlike his usual self, he wasn't smiling or even saying a word for that matter. And it wasn't just that he was trying to act cool for the cameras. Something was definitely wrong, and I knew exactly what it was.

Oh, Jiyong...

I desperately wanted to run to him and throw myself in his arms. I wanted to tell him that I was sorry and that it was all a big misunderstanding. I wanted him back so badly that I didn't know how I was functioning inside. Beside him was Seunghyun, who had his hands shoved tightly into his pockets. His eyes never once left the ground, and he, too, seemed distressed. It hurt knowing that most of their pain was caused by me.

Suddenly, Jiyong lifted his sunglasses onto his forehead, exposing his dark, brown eyes. The crowd went crazy as he stared blankly at them. After he swept his gaze multiple times over the vast crowd, he looked over his shoulder. I sucked in a nervous breath as our eyes met. I smiled sweetly, pretending like nothing had happened and hoped that he would give me a sign back. But when he simply turned away, I knew that my childish hopes would never become reality.

Biting my lip, I looked down, trying to conceal my hurt from all the attentive eyes. Shoving my hands in the pockets of my jacket, I tried to conceal my clenched fists. Every single part of me was screaming, but instead of expressing my frustration, I simply walked through the rest of the airport in silence until I reached the exit.

Outside in the cool morning air, I felt instantly refreshed. A thin sheet of snow covered the sidewalks with an even thinner layer on the street, and little mounds lined the edges. Apparently, someone's been clearing the roads recently. A sudden shiver shot up my spine as the cold finally got to me. Hopefully, the vans would come soon. As I waited, I trudged up to the edge of the sidewalk, weaving through huddled bodies. Keeping my head down, I pulled my hood over my head, and avoided any conversation available. I wasn't exactly in the mood for small talk.

Around me, I could hear lively chatter and the occasionally hooting laughter. Everyone seemed so chipper and upbeat. Something about that nauseated me. Everyone was so happy, while I was wallowing in a ditch that I had dug for myself. Everything seemed to have hit rock bottom with me, and there seemed to be no way out of it. All I wanted was to just talk with Jiyong, but he wouldn't even recognize me. How could I fix anything if he acted like I didn't even exist?

The sound of wheels on crunching snow caused me to quickly snap my gaze upwards to find a caravan of black SUV's cruising down the street. Before anyone could approach me, I stepped towards the first van that reached the curb and entered it the moment it stopped. To avoid sitting beside anyone, I took shotgun. Without looking at who entered the car after me, I stared off into the hazy cityscape, and the van eventually took off down the snowy street.

It was only about a five minute drive to the closest diner. I wasn't going to complain. Sure, what I wanted was to just lie down and rest at the hotel, but I could really use some food in my belly right about now. As we pulled up to the entrance, I gazed out the window at the glowing blue neon sign in the front. Through the window I could see what looked like comfortable leather-backed booths and a 60's styled bar. My stomach grumbled at the thought of some old-fashioned All-American bacon omelette.