Chapter 21A - Family Part 1

Helloo, hope all are doing well! Since this chapter was tooo long...i'm updating it as two parts. So here's the first part of the next chapter...hope you like it. See ya at the end  

Gif credited to rightful owner (tumblr)

----------------------

Mew blinked a few times before whispering "Becky?" while his sister's smile seeing her brother after a long time lighted up the whole corridor. Rebecca aka Becky laughed seeing Mew's expression, "Surprise!!" she screamed before she leaped forward encircling her arms around Mew hugging him. Mew initially speechless slowly came back to reality, "Becks? How? When? Wha..?" he smiled hugging her back, "How are you Becks? When did you get here??" he asked feeling the warm in his heart after a long time. Though Mew has always been mature and practical for the most part, his over-protectiveness and concern as a brother was undeniable. And that part of him missed his sister everyday...seeing her off to college, outside the country was one of the hardest things he had to do. Hearing no answer from her, he broke out of the hug and leaned back to see Becky staring inside the house, Mew turned around and saw Gulf standing a few steps behind him frozen, looking between Mew and his sister...Mew had almost forgotten about him.

            Becky slowly turned to Mew and raised her brow with a sly smile, Mew shook his head understanding her thoughts all too well and answered before she could put it into words "Becky! This...ah this is...my friend...Gulf Kanawut!" he said his name looking at Gulf. While Gulf was already staring back at Mew at the mention of 'friend', but turned to Mew's sister and smiled acknowledging Mew's introduction. Becky turned from Mew with the same smile and extended her hand to Gulf, "Hello my brother's friend!" she said making Gulf awkwardly smile while shaking her hands. Gulf could tell she did not believe the 'friend' part; Mew took a deep breath "Mr. Kana, this is my little sister...Rebecca Richards!" he introduced slightly glaring at Becky for making fun of him. Becky smiled "I'm so sorry...I didn't know my brother would have guest at this time...I actually expected him to be at the hospital!" she stated turning her head towards Mew.

Gulf sensing that he might be dragged into the following conversation cleared his throat gaining the sibling's attention, "I apologize for intruding this reunion...I'll get going then..." he said eyes Mew who silently nodded. Gulf smiled at Becky "It was nice meeting you Ms. Richards!" Gulf turned to Mew "I'll head out Dr. Suppasit...thank you!" he added and walked right past them without turning back. Mew stared at the door Gulf just left and turned towards Becky who was smiling looking at him, Mew raised his hand "You need to stop doing that..." he said making Becky laugh, "Sorry! Both of you looked super cute being awkward...I couldn't let such an opportunity pass!" she answered walking towards the couch. Mew shook his head with a small smile, dragged Becky's suitcase from the door inside and walked in "You could have let me know you were coming...I would have come to pick you up!" he said placing her case next to the couch.

        Becky smiled at her brother...for still not understanding the word 'surprise', "...so should I ask about the bandage in your hand?" she asked looking at Mew's hand. Mew glanced at his hand, and from nowhere the memories from the night before popped into his head, with a small smirk Mew looked at his sister "It's nothing...I burnt my hand...trying to put out a small fire!" Becky nodded without questioning. Mew's eyes suddenly widened as soon as he saw the time "Becks! I would love to stay and cat with you...but I'm already very late for my shift now..." he hurried said to Becky. He quickly walked around the room picking a few things "...you take rest now...there food in the fridge...and I will cook you a hot meal when I get home in the evening!" he placed a quick kiss on Becky's head and dashed out the door. Becky watched her brother run out in hurry, something she had never seen in her 'always punctual' brother. She turned back, took a deep breath and fell to the side, lying on the couch with no energy left from the travelling.

        Mew closed his eyes sighing for the nth time, he wasn't sure how and what to say to Gulf; felling frustrated he speed walked towards his car but stopped when he saw Gulf casually standing next to his car talking in the phone. A small smile automatically appeared on Mew's face while he slowly walked to him, and smiled just as Gulf cut his call looking back at Mew. "you...you're still here??" Mew asked still surprised, Gulf smiled "You hurt your hand...you can convince your friends to let you go home..." Gulf took a step closer while Mew was rooted to his place. "...but you can NOT convince me to drive by yourself! I'm driving you to the hospital...c'mon!" he swiftly took the car keys from Mew, pushed him to passengers side of the car while Mew obliged without a word smiling at Gulf. Mew didn't care to argue this time...for one because, he knew Gulf was either way going to the hospital to see his brother and also...all he wanted to do that minute was to savour the warmth he was feeling inside him...warmth you feel from someone's true care and concern.

        Barely lasting 5 minutes of silence between them, Mew spoke first "I apologize for my sister! She's just straight forward like that...I..." he paused when he heard Gulf chuckle, he looked at him laughing looking at the road. "It was pretty entertaining to see you guys converse though...I can tell you both are very close...and she seems sweet!" Gulf commented without taking the eyes off the road and the rear-view mirror. Though Mew smiled at Gulf's words, a small, and uncomfortable feeling resided in Mew's mind hearing Gulf calls his sister 'sweet'. He was caught up in ignoring the feeling that he barely heard Gulf's following comment, suddenly snapping out of his thoughts he asked Gulf again. Gulf smiled facing him, "I was saying that your parents must have loved their daughter....may be more than you!" Gulf casually stated making Mew smile again "They never differentiated their love between me and my sister!" he replied to him with pride. Gulf shrugged "...hmmm maybe...but they did name their daughter with an American name while you have a one of the most common 'Thai' names!" he said glancing towards Mew who burst out laughing hearing his explanation.

         Mew answered between his light chuckles "Well they did... offer me to change my name...when they legally adopted me but...I was already used to this name by then!" Mew answered casually with the same smile while Gulf's face changed as the words started to sink in his mind. Gulf looked at Mew with disbelief, and turned towards the road just in time to avoid ramping into the car in front of them; the car finally came to a pause in the signal. Gulf didn't know what to say, but thankfully Mew spoke breaking the silence "My birth mom and I came here when I was very young, she had to work to many jobs to keep me fed...tiredness from all the work made her sick and...she just never got better" Gulf silently listened while Mew spoke looking outside the window. Mew slightly shook his head and continued "So I grew p in an orphanage until I was teen...until the Richards found me! Both of my moms knew each other from Thailand, and it took her time to find me after she heard of my mom's passing!! So they took me in...and I've lived a pretty happy life since then!" Mew said with a big smile at the end.

Gulf stayed silent having a hard time moving on from the fact that the 'perfect Dr. Mew!' he knew grew up with a not so pleasant childhood, and at once he suddenly remembered Mew's words

"...must be easy to think only you've had a hard life..."

      Somehow his perspective of Mew and what his words meant changed a little; somehow Mew felt a lot closer than five minutes ago when they talked about their 'casual relationship'.

------------------------------

Hope you guys liked it though...let me know your thoughts on the chapter in the comments below. That's it for this part, since I was late again...im updating the second part as well. Hope it's not too much to read...have fun..

See ya soon at the next chapter!

Take care and stay safe.

Divi