II

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

They waited in their rooms, Arya had gone to her own chamber and was laying on the bed staring at the ceiling.

•••••

The Black Riders crash through the gate, crushing the gatekeeper underneath it.
She heard them gallop to the Prancing Pony, screeching.

•••••

Arya strained her ears and she heard them enter the inn with their swords drawn and the panicked Ed breathing of the innkeeper who she guessed was hiding from them, the Hobbits were soundly asleep and she rushed out of her room while the Riders were still at the door and entered the one where Aragorn had hidden the hobbits.

She was met by a sword at her neck, which she pushed away with her leather clad forearm, and Strider's stare.
She mouthed a quick apology and closed the door.

She closed her eyes and heard the Riders make for the hobbit-sized room. The swords descend, stabbing at the still forms as the Hobbits awake. The Riders pull back the covers and realise they have been attacking stuffed bedclothes and pillows. They scream. Strider watches from the window in his room as the Riders remount their horses and exit Bree.

Frodo sits at the foot of the bed with Arya who was playing with her nails. The rest of the sleeping hobbits, awakened by the Riders' cries, lean wide-eyed against the headboard.

-What are they?- her attention turned to the ranger hoping to get some information.

-They were once Men. Great kings of Men. Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question. One by one falling into darkness- Arya scoffed, typical of men -Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgûl, Ringwraiths, neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring. Drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you.

-You can sleep Frodo- Arya said standing up -I'll stay awake just to be sure.

Before the hobbit could protest, she placed her gedwëy ignasia against his forehead and put him to sleep with an incantation. She watched them fall asleep and then sat outside the window of the room looking up at the night sky and wondering how she and Argent would get back home.

••••••••••

The following morning, Strider leads the four hobbits and a newly acquired pony away from the village of Bree. Arya following from behind.

-Where are you taking us?

-Into the wild- the man kept climbing and Frodo fell back behind with the others.

-How do we know this Strider is a friend of Gandalf?

-I think a servant of the Enemy would look fairer and feel fouler.

-He's foul enough!- Arya slapped his arm gently knowing Strider could hear them.

-We have no choice but to trust him.

-But where is he leading us?

-To Rivendell, Master Gamgee. To the House of Elrond.

-Did you hear that? Rivendell! We're going to see the Elves!- Arya perked up.

If they were going to see elves maybe one of them knew Arya Dröttningu, the elven queen from Du Weldenvarden that Eragon had named her after.

The Hobbits paused after a while, pulling cookware and food from their packs. Strider looked back at them as Arya passed him to survey the wilderness before them.