XVIII

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Frodo closes his hand over the Ring, and puts it into his vest pocket. He pushes a boat into the river and jumps in. Sam emerges from the woods, and runs after him.

-Frodo, no! Frodo! Mister Frodo!- he shouts trying to catch the hobbit's attention.

-No, Sam- Frodo muttered to himself as he continues to paddle away.

Sam runs into the river after Frodo and jumps into the waters. Frodo, hearing the splashes, looks back.

-Go back, Sam! I'm going to Mordor alone- he tries to scare Sam away.

-Of course you are, and I'm coming with you!

-You can't swim! Sam!

Sam struggles to swim then sinks into the water since Frodo was correct.

-Sam!- Frodo shouts in concern.

Sam sinks down to the bottom of the river, giving up.
Frodo's hand reaches down and grabs Sam's wrist. Sam tightens his hand around Frodo's. Frodo pulls him out of the water and up into the boat.

-I made a promise, Mister Frodo. A promise! 'Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to! I don't mean to- he stammers.

-Oh, Sam!- he wraps his arms around his friend -Come on.

Frodo and Sam paddle towards the eastern shore.

••••••••••
•••••

Legolas shoves a boat into the water with one foot.

-Hurry! Frodo and Sam have reached the eastern shore.

Aragorn stands still and says nothing. Arya takes Legolas' arm and pulls him back to her.

-You mean not to follow them?

-Frodo's fate is no longer in our hands.

-Then it has all been in vain! The Fellowship has failed.

-Not if we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we have strength left- Aragorn puts his hands on their shoulders -Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light. Let us hunt some Orc!

Legolas and Gimli look at each other, grinning. Arya smiles at Aragorn.

-Yes! Haha!- Gimli says enthusiastically.

Aragorn runs into the woods, followed by Gimli and Legolas.

••••••••••
•••••

Frodo and Sam stand upon a hill, looking to the path they had to take.

-Mordor. I hope the others find a safer route- Frodo says with a heavy heart.

-Strider will look after them- Sam tries to cheer him up.

-I don't suppose we'll ever see them again.

-We may yet, Mister Frodo. We may.

-Sam, I'm glad you're with me- Frodo turns, smiling.

He pats Sam on the shoulder and then walks onwards. Sam stands for a moment, and then follows down a rocky slope. The two hobbits begin their trek, towards Mordor.

••••••••••
•••••

While the Fellowship experienced these things the Misty Mountains, Gandalf passed through his own adversity.