XLII

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

At dawn, Éowyn is approached by her uncle.

-I have left instructions. The people are to follow your rule in my stead. Take up my seat in the Golden Hall. Long may you defend Edoras if the battle goes ill.

-What other duty would you have me do, my lord?

-Duty? No. I would have you smile again. Not grieve for those whose time has come.

-You shall live to see these days renewed. No more despair.

••••••••••
•••••

Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas ride along a barren mountain path.

-What kind of army would linger in such a place?- Gimli crumbles as he stumbles into more cobwebs.

-One that is cursed- legless brushes and all the cobwebs from in front of him -Long ago the Men of the Mountain swore an oath to the last king of Gondor, to come to his aid, to fight. But when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire, they fled, vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so Isildur cursed them, never to rest, until they had fulfilled their pledge. Who shall call them from the grey twilight? The forgotten people. The heir of him to whom the oath they swore. From the north shall he come. Need shall drive him. He shall pass the door to the Paths of the Dead.

They approach the Dimholt door. It is adorned with skulls.

-The very warmth of my blood seems stole away.

Legolas reads the hieroglyphs above the door.

-The way is shut. It was made by those who were dead, and the dead keep it. The way is shut.

Wind and noise come out of the door. The horses rear throwing off their riders and flee.

-Brego!- Aragorn shout for the animal but Brego does not return. Aragorn turns back towards the entrance -I do not fear death!

The man enters the mountain first. Legolas soon follows, but Gimli hesitates.

-Well this is something unheard of! An elf will go underground where a dwarf dare not! Ah, I'd never hear the end of it!- Gimli runs into the tunnel.

••••••••••
•••••

Morning falls on Dunharrow. The Rohirrim prepare to depart.

-We must ride light and swift. It's a long road ahead. The men and beast must reach the end with a strength to fight- Théoden looks down on Merry and his pony -Little hobbits do not belong in war, Master Meriadoc.

-All my friends have gone to battle. I will be ashamed to be left behind!- Meriadoc complains.

-It is a three day gallop to Minas Tirith and none of my riders can bear you as a burden- The king of Rohan feel sad for the small hobbit.

-I want to fight!

-I will say no more- Théoden rides away, leaving a disappointed Merry to stand and watch riders stream past him.

One of the riders snatches Merry up onto his horse. The rider was Éowyn, disguised as a male Rohirrim. Her golden tresses hidden in the helmet she wore.

-Ride with me- she whispers into his ear as she leads her horse behind her uncle.

-My lady!

-Form up! Move out!- Élmeres shout from somewhere in lines.