XXIX

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Aragorn rides on Brego after the faithful animal had waited for him at the edge of the river where he had ended up in.

He sees the army of Saruman marching down the path from a blind spot. He then makes his way to Helm's Deep to warn them.

-Mae carnen, Brego, mellon nîn- he thanks the horse as they approached the keep (Well done, Brego, my friend).

He rides up to the fortress and in to the courtyard.

-Where is he! Where is he! Get out of my way! I'm gonna kill him! You are the luckiest, the cunningest, and most reckless man I ever knew!- Gimli smiles, charging at his friend with open arms. Gimli embraces Aragorn -Bless you, laddie!

-Gimli, where is the king?- the ranger says.

Aragorn runs into Legolas as he goes to look for king Thèoden.

-Le abdollen- the elf also embraces his friend (You're late) -You look terrible- Aragorn laughs and puts his hand on Legolas shoulder.

-Where is Arya?- Aragorn asks.

-She left after we saw you fall. And I have something for you.

Èowyn sees them just as Legolas gives Aragorn Arwen's Evenstar. A sad feeling overtakes her as she sees the man's adoration for the small trinket.

-Hannon le- Aragorn thanks his friend (Thank you).

Suddenly, a strange feeling, like a headache filled Legolas' head. He flinched a bit making Aragorn grab at his arm which made him feel the same thing.

-Legolas- Arya's voice echoed inside their heads -And Aragorn?

-Arya?

-Yes. Look, I'll explain this later but you need to know that Argent and I just saw an army that was grouping near a white tower.

-Thank you Arya.

-And welcome back Aragorn- before he could respond, the headache left and the pressure in his head stopped.

Théoden is sitting inside, and Aragorn pushes the doors open and enters.

••••••••••

-A great host, you say?- he asks as Aragorn finished explaining.

-All Isengard is emptied- he explains.

-How many?

-Ten thousand strong at least- Théoden turns to face Aragorn.

-Ten thousand?!

-It is an army bred for a single purpose: to destroy the world of Men- he says -They will be here by nightfall- the king stays quiet for a small pause.

-Let them come- he ends up

Théoden walks outside, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli following him.

-I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms, to be ready for battle by nightfall- he tells his guards -We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the deeping wall or set foot inside the Hornburg.

-This is no rabble of mindless orcs. These are Uruk-hai. Their armor is thick and their shields broad- Gimli grunts.

-I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf. I know how to defend my own keep- he counters -They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn, we've seen it before. Crops can be resown. Homes rebuilt. Within these walls, we will outlast them.