XXXIX

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Somewhere lumbering Mumakil (war Oliphants) and gliding corsairs are making their way through the land.
A short pudgy pirate directs the sailors.

He bears a peculiar resemblance to the belching oaf of Bree and a spearman who defended Helm's Deep...

-Come on!- a lead pirate snaps a whip.

••••••••••
•••••

-This will be the end of Gondor as we know it. Here the hammer stroke will fall the hardest. If the river is taken, if the garrison at Osgiliath falls, the last defense of this city will be gone.

-But we have the White Wizard... that's got to count for something. Gandalf?

••••••••••

In Minas Morgul, the Witch-king of Angmar is dressed dressed for battle.

••••••••••

-Sauron has yet to reveal his deadliest servant. The one who would lead Mordor's armies in war. The one they say no living man can kill: the Witch-King of Angmar.

-You've met him before. He stabbed Frodo on Weathertop.

Pippin thinks back to that time.

-He is the lord of the Nazgûl, the greatest of the nine. Minas Morgul is his lair- he gazes into the distance in direction of Rohan and then Mordor.

It was time.

••••••••••
•••••

Sam, Frodo, and Gollum approach Minas Morgul where the black buildings stood high and decayed, oozing evil.

-The Dead City... very nasty place... full of... enemies- Gollum leads them to the side of the road -Quick! Quick! They will see! They will see! Come away! Come away!- Gollum points out a long, steep staircase, set into the rock -Look! We have found it, the way into Mordor. The Secret Stairs! Climb!

Frodo wanders towards the dead city, past a pair of gargoyles as a voice whispers in the backround.

-No! Mister Frodo!

-Not that way! What's it doing?- Gollum whimpered.

-No!

-They're calling me.

As Sam and Gollum pull Frodo to the stairs, the middle of the city erupts with a bright blue-green light.

••••••••••
•••••

An army of orcs exits the Dead City. The Witch-King emerges, mounted on a flying beast. Frodo sees the Witch-King, and grabs his shoulder in pain as the pain from having been stabbed by the Morgul knife flared up.

-I can feel his blade.

•••••

An orc army leaves Minas Morgul.

•••••

-We come to it at last, the great battle of our time- Gandalf's voice is heard with an echo.

•••••

-Hurry, hobbits! We climb! We must climb!- Gollum growled back at the two hobbits.