XLVII

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Inside Minas Tirith, the city is in chaos.

-I didn't think it would end this way- Pippin said sadly.

-End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path. One that we all must take. The gray rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it- the wizard said as they looked down at the battle.

-What, Gandalf? See what?

-White shores. And beyond, the far green country, under a swift sunrise.

-Well, that isn't so bad.

-No. No, it isn't- Gandalf gives a small wistful smile.

-Gandalf!- Arya waves him over catching the wizard's and the hobbit's attention -I will leave the rest to you!

She jumps and lands on Argent's back just as he swoops close to the city's wall.

Argent feels her land on the saddle and instantly loops around sharply and turns back to the battle.

••••••••••
•••••

On the battlefield, it goes ill with Rohan

-Rally to me! To me!- Théoden slowly turns his head and sees the witch King of Angmar flying towards him on his black beast.

The fell beast grabs the king's horse in his teeth and shakes him away.

-Feast off his human flesh- he orders his fell beast to kill the now unconscious king.

-I will kill you if you touch him- Éowyn still in her disguise steps forth to defend her uncle.

-Do not come between the Nazgûl and his prey- the fell beast attacks her, but it only succeeds in getting its head cut off.

The witch king dismounts and strikes the soldier's (Éowyn) shield with his mace.

••••••••••
•••••

The other fell beasts and wraiths try to get close to the witch king but are driven off by Argent.

The dragon hooks his claws into both of the wings of one of the black beasts and pulls hard. The creature gives an agonizing shriek as his wings tear off of its body making it and the wraith on top of it fall onto the battle below and get trampled over by an Oliphaunt.

Arya loosens the restraint of the harness around her legs that attach her to the saddle and she jumps from Argent's back onto another one of the flying creatures.

She parries a blow from the riders with her sword which she then drives deep into them chest of its cloak where the heart would be.

As soon as the blade penetrates the fabric the figure comes undone until it is only a pile of black robes.

-Arya!- she leaps back onto Argent when he fights off another flying mount.

••••••••••
•••••

Just then, a black fleet of ships arrive on the Anduin River.

-Late as usual! Pirate scum! There's work that needs doing. Come on, you sea rats! Get out off your ships!- the orc leader says.

The ships ladder is lowered onto the shore.

The three figures of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli climb out.