XXXI

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Ents hover, making low voices. Treebeard approaches the hobbits as soon as they are done talking.

-Merry-Pippin nudges his friend.

-We have just agreed- the Ent seems to fall asleep.

-Yes?- Merry  prompts.

-I have told your names to the Entmoot and we have agreed: you are not orcs.

-Well that's good news- Pippin tries to stay positive.

-And what about Saruman? Have you come to a decision about him.

-Now don't be hasty, Master Meriadoc.

-Hasty?! Our friends are out there. They need our help! They cannot fight this war on their own.

-War, yes. It affects us all. But you must understand, young hobbit. It takes a long time to say anything in old Entish, and we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

••••••••••
•••••

Argent flies over the forest surrounding the white tower as he waited for Arya to call for his aid. In the forest he sees a weirdly assorted group of trees. He strains his eyes and is able to distinguish the two hobbits he had grown to like so very much.

•••••

Merry and Pippin watch as the Ents restart their argument. A sudden strong gust of wind makes their curls blow harshly and making the Ents look up as well. When the old trees see the shape of a fire breathing creature that haunted every young Ent's life because of the fire in their bellies, they scattered and hid in the forest as Argent landed, not staying too far from their meeting place.

-Young hobbits- Argent completely opens his mind and lets his voice echo in the air of the dying forest.

-Argent!- Pippin and Merry run to the large dragon and hug its nose. They let him breathe for a while and they turn to face Treebeard -this is one of our friends.

Eragon had once told Argent and Arya about the spirit of an elven maiden that had been trapped inside a tree and had ruled over Du Weldenvarden for many Milena.

He and Saphira had taught them how to gain trust from the living creatures of the forest and he could understand why these tree people would be scared of something like him that could breath fire and suffocate their home in but a few minutes.

-Eka eddyr néiat here eom hurt ono (I am not here to hurt you)- he said in the most convincing tone he could muster -unfortunately, I must leave you here, Pippin, Merry. Arya and the others need my help. But I will see you soon enough- he blew out a cool breath of fresh air feeling his dragon magic flow uncontrolled and the company around him watched as a young tree sprouted from the ground growing rapidly until it reached

Treebeard's height, once this war is over and you are sure your forest is safe, the blossoms on this tree will bloom and the seeds will repopulate your home as quickly as you can throw down that wizard- he told the Ents who were still looking at the tree in awe as closed buds grew from every stem and stump.

He huffed once more and then lifted himself back into the sky, disappearing in the grey clouds covering the sky.

••••••••••
•••••

The fighting at Helm's Deep continues. Gimli hacks away with his axe.

-Seventeen. Eighteen. Nineteen. Twenty. Twenty-one. Twenty-two- he mumbles.