XLVIII

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

-Merry! Merry, it's me. It's Pippin- he holds his friend's body in his arms.

-I knew you'd find me- Merry smiles up at him.

-Yes.

-Are you going to leave me?

-No, Merry. I'm going to look after you.

••••••••••
•••••

At the Tower of Cirith Ungol, Frodo wakes up as Gorbag and Shagrat are searching through his belongings.  Gorbag discovers his Mithril shirt and holds it up.

-Hands off that shiny shirt! That's mine!-Shagrat growls at the larger orc.

-It's going to the Great Eye! Along with everything else.

-I don't take orders from stinking Morgul rats!- Shagrat lunges at him trying to take the shirt.

-You touch it and I'll stick this blade in your gut!- Gorbag pulls out a wicked looking blade.

The two fight until Gorbag rolls down the stairs where other orcs look up surprised

-The scum tried to knife me! Kill him! Shagrat's orcs begin to battle Gorbag's orcs.

•••••

Sam enters the Tower of Cirith Ungol. As the Orcs attack him, he fights back with a vengence

-That's for Frodo! That one's for the Shire! And that's for my old Gaffer!- he swing Sting wildly.

•••••

At the top of the tower, Snaga threatens Frodo.

-Stop your squirming, you rat! I'm gonna bleed you like a stuck pig!

-Not if I stick you first- Sam appears behind the orc and killed him.

-Sam! Oh Sam, I'm so sorry! Sorry for everything- Frodo cries.

-Let's get you out of here.

-It's too late. It's over. They've taken It! Sam! They took the Ring!

-Begging your pardon, but they haven't. I thought I'd lost you so I took It. Only for safe-keeping.

-Give It to me. Give me the Ring, Sam- Frodo's expresión turns dark.

-Does not wish to- the other hobbit mumbles.

-Sam! Give me the Ring.

He does so after finally shaking out of his daze at Frodo's urgent tone of voice.

-You must understand, the Ring is my burden. It will destroy you, Sam.

-Come on, Mr. Frodo. We best find you some clothes. You can't go walking to Mordor in naught but your skin.

Outside the tower two small figures in orc armor too big for them look out over Mordor where all the orcs are encamped.

-We did it, Mr. Frodo. We made it to Mordor.

-There are so many of them. We'll never get through unseen!

Barad-dur looms in the distance, the lidless eye that has become a symbol of darkness and fear watches its lands from the top of the tower.

-It's Him! The Eye!- Frodo cowers away from it.

-We have to go in there, Mr. Frodo. There's nothing for it. Well, let's make it down the hill for starters, shall we?- Sam says looking at The Valley.