XLIII

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

-My sons are spent- Denethor steps away from Faramir. Pippin approaches -My line has ended.

-He's alive!

Arya rushes over to confirm the hobbit's assessment was correct. Indeed the man was yet breathing. The belt she had given him was worn out as if burned so the energy inside it must've protected Faramir.

She pressed two fingers to the side of his neck feeling his pulse flutter weakly, but it was there.

-Pippin is correct. Your son is alive, lord.

-The house of Stewards has failed- Demetria ignored them as he wailed.

-He needs medicine my lord!- Pippin tried to convince the mad man to help his son but all Denethor did was grip his hair and fall to his knees.

-My line has ended!- he wanders to the edge of the courtyard.

He looks down to see the orc army rallying at the other side of his city's walls.

-My lord!

-Rohan has deserted us- Denethor hisses. Orc catapults fling boulders at the city. People cry and run as the large stones fall against the wall -Théoden has betrayed me- more boulders fall.

-Abandon your posts! Flee! Flee for you lives!

Arya smacks Denethor upside with Gandalf's staff, knocking him out. She hands it back to the wizard who appeared shocked at that, not like he had not wanted to do so himself.

-Prepare for battle- Gandalf rides down to rally the soldiers -Pull them in! To the wall! Defend the wall! Return to your posts!

The soldiers return to their posts. Gandalf looks out at the opposing army.

-Send these foul beasts into the abyss!

Soldiers use trebuchets to launch large rocks at the orc army. The masonry squashes some of the orcs. The orcs around Gothmog shift fearfully.

-Stay where you are- Gothmog says to the Orcs.

The catapults and trebuchets fire at each other.

-Watch out!- someone warns.

-Down to the lower level. Quick!

Pippin runs down into the city with his fellow guardsmen.

A large rock arcs out from the city towards Gothmog. Nearby orcs scramble out of the way. Gothmog sidesteps the boulder as it falls near him.

A troll looks on with a confused stare. Gothmog spits on the boulder.

The Nazgûl shriek and fly in over the city and begin to tear down the trebuchets throwing them off the wall.

-Hold them back. Do not give in to fear! Stay at your posts!

Trolls push the siege towers to the walls of Minas Tirith. Pipplin loses his helmet.

-Don't aim for the towers. Aim for the trolls. Kill the trolls! Fight them back!- Gandalf shouts.

Arya pulls out her bow and moves to stand on the wall. She notches an arrow and kills one of the troll at the back by hitting its eye.

Battering rams assault the main gates making them quiver.

Pippin arrives at the walls, looking dazed. Gandalf sees him.

-Peregrin Took! Go back to the citadel! Now!

-They called us out to fight- Pippin said softly. He wanted to fight as well.