XLI

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

At Osgiliath, orcs rise to meet the charge.

•••••

Inside the throne room, Denethor eats. Pippin stands nearby.

-Can you sing, Master Hobbit?

-Well, yes. At least, well enough for my own people. But, we have no songs for great halls and... evil times.

-And why should your songs be unfit for my halls? Come, sing me a song.

As Pippin sings, Faramir's men gallop toward Osgiliath, and Denethor eats messily.

•••••

Arya's hair blows slightly in the soft breeze as she mourns another great loss because of foolish men.

•••••

"Home is behind, the world ahead
and there are many paths to tread.
Through shadow to the edge of night
until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow cloud and shade
all shall fade, all shall fade"

•••••

As Pippin's song ends, orc archers appear from within Osgiliath, and fire on Faramir's men.

•••••

Pippin ends his song, holding back tears.

•••••

Gandalf sits in an empty courtyard. A bell tolls. Arya walks over to him under Argent's watchful eye. Without a words spoken he nods his head and she jumps onto the dragon's back.

•••••

Trolls push siege towers across the river bridge at Osgiliath.

••••••••••
•••••

Théoden and Aragorn ride through the encampment at Dunharrow, surveying Rohan's army.

-Grimbold, how many?

-I bring five hundred men from the Westfold, my Lord.

-We have three hundred more from Fenmarch.

-Where are the riders from Snowbourn?

-None have come, my Lord.

From a small, high encampment, Théoden surveys his army.

-Six thousand spears. Less than half of what I'd hoped for.

-Six thousand will not be enough to break the lines of Mordor.

-More will come.

-Arg- both men turn to Gimli as the dwarf for grunts -have you been forgotten we have a flying fire breathing thick skinned lizard on our side?

Aragorn nods amused at the dwarf's interruption. He was sure Arya had already sent Argent their way.

-Every hour lost hastens Gondor's defeat. We have till dawn. Then we must ride.

Théoden nods. A horse rears in the back.

-The horses are restless, and the men are quiet- Legolas says.

-They grow nervous in the shadow of the mountain.

-That road there, where does that lead?- Gimli looks in direction of the dark passing into the mountain.