XLIX

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

San and Frodo climb up the Mountain of Fire oblivious to the dragon now searching for them.

-Do you remember the Shire, Mister Frodo? It'll be spring soon, and the Orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket and they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields. (Frodo opens his eyes, and stares blindly at Sam.) And eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?

-No, Sam, I can't recall the taste of food. Nor the sound of water. Or the touch of grass. I'm naked in the dark. There's nothing...no veil between me and the wheel of fire. I can see him with my waking eyes!

-Then let us be rid of it, once and for all! Come on, Mister Frodo. I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! Come on!- he heaves the tired hobbit onto his back and slowly begins to make his way up the mountain.

•••••

-Arya! There!- Arya leans over his shoulder and sees the hobbits.

A sudden shriek caused her to tear her gaze from Frodo and Sam as curved claws dig into her shoulder making her shot out in pain.

A Nazgûl had come from behind her throwing her off of Argent.

-Arya!- Argent roars shaking the creature of him.

He catches her by the straps of her chainmail and lowers her to the ground as gently as he could.

-Go!- she shouts.

He returns to the air after giving Arya an unsure look.

She looks up seeing Frodo and Sam's figures climbing up the mountain a way from her.

And so she begins to climb after them.

•••••

At the Black Gate, Aragorn prepares to attack

-Aragorn... Elessar...- Sauron hisses.

-For Frodo...

-Frodo!- Pippin and Merry run forth the first, their small swords drawn.

This encourages the men to follow after the small hobbits shouting as well.

Aragorn and his men attack the forces of evil.

•••••

Sam and Frodo approach the upper cone.

-Look, Mister Frodo. A doorway! We're almost there.

-Clever Hobbits, to climb so high!- Gollum attacks Frodo and Sam from the shadows from which he has been following them.

•••••

Meanwhile, the Nazgul appear at the Black Gate fighting a large dragon, Argent.

He manages to kill all but one. Argent pants as his wind string slightly in the cool air.

He feels his throat warm up until it begins to burn.

•••••

The Nazgûl sees the dragon's throat light up and tries to swerve his flying beast to avoid the oncoming attack but is too late.

•••••

Argent let's lose a torrent of beautiful bright blue flames that char the dark beings until they no more than fine dust in the wind and a blackening corpse that falls and breaks into pieces once it falls on the black rocks that litter Mordor's territory.