XXII

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Argent sees Arya and the others had exited the forest and quickly dived down, settling within reasonable distance from the horse so as to not spook it.
Gandalf lifts his staff but Aragorn shakes his head as he lets Arya step forward and embrace the dragon's head.

-And who is this?- Gandalf asks daring to step forward and closer to the beast.

-Argent, this is Gandalf- she pointed to the old wizard -Gandalf this is Argent.

The dragon turned his head to the man, his scales shining like mithril in the sun. He pressed the tip of his nose to the man's outer stretched hand and closed his eyes letting out a deep hum. The air around them turned thick and small white flowers bloomed at their feet.

-Dragons have their own special kind of magic which is unlocked at random times- she explains to the others.

-A pleasure- the wizard chuckels -Although I would suggest not entering the Rohan Country by dragon no matter how noble you may be.

Arya nodded in agreement and again said goodbye to a resigned Argent. He knew the old man was right and that he would cause unnecessary panic yet he did not like being parted from his person so many times. With a heavy sigh that made smoke come out from his nostrils.

He lifted the muscles of his large wings and beat them down hard to lift his body from the ground.
Aragorn then helped Arya onto his horse behind him and Legolas helped Gimli onto his own horse.

••••••••••
•••••

Merry wakes up in a forest glade. Pippin is drinking from a stone dish.

-Hello? Treebeard? Where has he gone?

-I had the loveliest dream last night. There was this large barrel, full of pipe-weed. And we smoked all of it. And then you were sick. I'd give anything for a whiff of Old Toby- Pippin said in a rush of words.

A groan is heard.

-Did you hear that? There it is again. Something's not right here. Not right at all- Merry says shaking his head. Pippin gives a growling burp -You just said something... treeish.

-No I didn't. I was just stretching- Pippin stretches and two more groans come from him.

-You're taller- Merry noticed his friend had grown a couple of inches more.

-Who?- the oblivious hobbit asked.

-You!- he pointed at him.

-Than what?

-Than me!- Merry said with a look filed with slight annoyance that his friend was now taller than himself.

-I've always been taller than you.

-Pippin, everyone knows I'm the tall one. You're the short one- Pippin pulled a face.

-Please, Merry. You're what, three-foot-six? At the most? Whereas me, I'm pushing three-seven, three-eight- he lifted his head up proudly.

-Three-foot-eight? You did something.

Merry grabs the stone bowl and drinks.

-Merry, don't! Don't drink it. Merry! Treebeard said that you shouldn't have any- Pippin warned him.

-I want some!

-It could be dangerous! Give it back! Merry!- he reaches out for the bowl.

The hobbits trip over the roots of a tree. The roots begin to close in on them.