VIII

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Through the rising sound of the snow, Arya listens for a muffled voice that her ears could hear in the air.

-Cuiva nwalca Carnirasse; nai yarvaxea rasselya!

(Wake up cruel Redhorn! May your horn be bloodstained!)

-Legolas- she grabbed his arm -do you hear that?

He listened for a moment before turning to the rest of the group.

-There is a fell voice on the air!

-It's Saruman!

With a rending echo, a horde of rock slabs and boulders falls from the mountain's arms. The Fellowship shove themselves flat against the sheer cliff wall to avoid the onslaught of stone.
Arya pulling Legolas with her as she still had her grip on him.

She stands chest to chest with the elf as they wait for the last of the avalanche to fall. She looks slightly up as he was a bit taller than her and meets his blue eyes.

Legolas' breath hitches as he glances at her eyes, then nose and finally her lips which are partially opened.

She leaves him starting and pulls back with a wince when she grabs onto a particularly sharp rock to keep her balance and cuts her hand.

-Arya- Argent heard the rocks falling and felt a slight sting on his claw, a small cut forming.

-I'm fine Argent, don't worry. Don't come up into to the mountains.

-Why not?!

-I do not think we'll be here much longer.

Argent grunted in approval and kept his distance from the mountain.

Just as Arya predicted, the storm grew worse even when Gandalf tried to help calm the mountain.

-We must get off the mountain! Make for the Gap of Rohan and take the west road to my city!

-The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard!

-If we cannot pass over the mountain, let us go under it. Let us go through the mines of Moria- Arya fought the urge to chuckle in that situation. She would never forget the love dwarves had for their underground tunnels.

In Gandalf's eyes there was a shadow of doubt, of fear that lies unsaid.

-Moria... You fear to go into those mines- Saruman sits in his study in Orthanc, reading a page in a book of lore written in a strange tongue -The Dwarves delved too greedily and too deep- his attention turned to a different image, a shadow in the clouds too fast to identify but he dismissed it.

On Caradhras, Gandalf's eyes glint, fearful.

-Let the Ring bearer decide- he finally states grimly.

Arya looks expectantly at the hobbit who tries to think over the noise of the storm

-We will go through the mines.

-So be it- but Gandalf did not look too happy.

••••••••••

The Fellowship travels south, along the misty shadow of an aqueduct's ruins. The Fellowship stands looking upon a vast cliff face.

-Dwarf doors are invisible when closed- Gimli tells Arya and Legolas who were standing next to him. He knocks his axe against a rock. The Fellowship moves along the wall, searching for a door.