XII

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Balrog roars again. The Fellowship descend a flight of massive stairs.
They encounter a gap in the stairs. Legolas leaps and lands on the other side. Arya leaps after him landing almost perfectly. She stumbled as her old scar throbbed twice more. But she had no time to wait and heal.

-Arya! I feel it. You must meet me outside! Now!- Argent roars at her. He had felt the wound's pain reappearing and he did not like it.

It had been decades since she had received it and Eragon had healed it, yet it was a mystery why it had remained. It was speculated that a small shard of the shade's sword had dug its way into her and stated there, moving around only when they tried to take it out.

The Balrog rumbles again. Foundations splinter and crumble, sending huge rocks tumbling into the depths.

-Gandalf- Legolas calls for the old wizard just as Arya gives her attention back to the Fellowship.

Gandalf leaps after them onto the other side.
Arrows whistle into the air from a far ledge, striking the stone steps. Legolas shoots back. His arrow rises through the air and pierces the skull of an Orc. The Orc tumbles down from his ledge.

-I'll take care of them!- Arya pulled out her bow -you help the others!- she shot at the orcs consecutively in anger. She was pissed that her wound was hurting her again and that they had to go through all this.

-Merry! Pippin! Hoo-aah!- Boromir picks up both hobbits and runs. He leaps across the gap making it across.

An exchange of arrows follow from the stairs to the ledge. Most of them being Arya's who was notching her arrows far quicker than the orcs could even lift their bows.

Legolas observed her form as she held her weapon. It was flawless, like she had spent centuries practicing. He was pulled back into concentration as an orc arrow grazed him.

-Sam- Aragorn takes Sam in his arms.
He pitches the hobbit to the other side where the Hobbit is caught by Boromir.
Aragorn reaches to pick up Gimli.

-Nobody tosses a dwarf- the stubborn dwarf days holding up his hand.

He leaps forward but nearly falls back into the chasm. Legolas grabs his beard and pulls him up.

-Not the beard!- it was rather comical.

Some of the stone steps crumble and fall. Aragorn pushes Frodo to safety. They climb to their feet and look at the now widened gap that separates them from the rest of the Fellowship.

-Steady. Hold on!- he puts his arm around Frodo's back to stabilise him.

The Balrog could be heard approaching from the other hall. Stone structures around the mine collapse as it draws near. A huge rock falls from the ceiling and smashes through the steps behind Aragorn and Frodo, creating another gap behind them. The stairs begin to wobble.

-Hang on! Lean forward!

-Come on!- Legolas and Arya encourage them.

They shift their weight forward, tipping the stairs across the divide and slamming them onto the steps where their companions are.
They leap across to safety. They run down the stairs as the stone structures collapse behind them.

Around a great pillar in a fiery hall comes Gandalf, leading the Fellowship. A wall of flame whirls behind them.

-Over the bridge! Fly!- Gandalf stays at the back of the group.