"In the end, is it always fine?"

It started when he let out his first cries. They called it the best day in their tiny world of just a few who they wanted to enjoy it with. When it started diminishing in front of his eyes, he realised how nothing lasts forever.

It was his parents dying in front of his eyes at first. He could see it but, he couldn't comprehend a thing. He was too young to realise what was going on.

His aunt, who was sick to her mind came second. She wanted him because of her sick desires to control a puppet.

He did not realise how he had been living with his captor for half of his life. Yet, he somehow found happiness with her and her family. He found happiness in her children and the man who was his father figure. Yu Ziyuan was never his mother figure, he had always feared her for some reasons. Though the love he had for her was all real.

At times he just wanted to stay with the Lan's. When he was young he did not like how scary and yet so caring his aunt was. Now, he realised how much his life would have been different if he had just stayed with the Lan's.

Lan Zhan came third. His unconventional personality was what made Wei Ying like him even more. Lan Wangji was like a breath of fresh air in midst of a storm which was his life. He didn't know Lan Zhan was in love with him too. God, he thought that the older man hated him for being disrespectful to his culture.

No. That wasn't it. His personality wherein he disrespectfully questioned all the wrong things and bulldozed everybody who came in his way was what made Lan wangji like him.

His first kiss. His first dance. The day they exchanged their rings. Even the day when they moved into the house that they would call their own after they married.

It was just so, so perfect. Wei Wuxian was so madly in love with Lan wangji that he failed to notice his own shortcomings and the dangers that loomed over his head. But, he did not care enough for himself.

With a middle finger over his head he wanted to live a life full of little satisfactions even if it was small.

Even though he couldn't stifle the Lan family rules. They still loved him with their whole heart. He liked how he was welcome in the Lan family.

He failed to notice so many things in the name of his self sacrifice that in the end when he saw his aunt pull the glock from the cops hands, he pushed the love of his life out of the way. He smiled, he fucking smiled when realised that his soulmate was safe.

Mind broken and gaslighted. It didn't matter. Even if Lan Wangji fell out of love with him, he was ready to throw himself in front of any of the dangers that came his way.

"Wei Ying!", Lan Zhan cried out.

Ah, crap. That hurt now. He saw Lan Zhan crying before he fell down into the arms of his soulmate who sinked down along with him.

He woke up. He surprisingly did. It was apparently a month after the incident. The bullet had left a lot of residual damages and the trauma he was going through at that very moment was too much for him to handle.

The first person he saw was his fiance. He was asleep with his head rested on his lap. Wei Ying frowned feeling tears brimming in his eyes. This was not how he wanted to see his Lan Zhan. He looked tired, dull, and much skinnier than the time he saw him last.

Seemed like the tension had finally gotten to him.

A soft groan left his lips and the pain on his tummy started stinging him. He allowed himself to sit up straight for as much as he could and ran his free hand through Lan zhan's hair which was not connected to catheters.