73.martina's

Pablo, the Coppola's chauffeur, drives us through the empty roads that lead to the medieval seaside town of Cefalu.

A stoned Sophia sits right beside me, a large grin plastered on her face since she decided to smoke weed to control her stress before coming here.

She lays her manicured hand on top of mine. The large, oval diamond on her ring finger glistening with every lamppost we speed by.

She's about to get sentimental, my subconscious pulls out a handkerchief from out of thin air, You know she always does when she's high.

"Kat, you're the bestest friend ever," she says with a sniffle, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about what Mateo does before."

I shake my head, squeezing her hand softly, "It's okay. I understand, Sophia."

She frowns, "I just love him so much—"

I give her a small, understanding smile, "I know. And that's why I don't want you to feel guilty about anything."

"Oh god, Kat," she let out a shaky, relieved laugh, "I love you so much," she takes a deep breath and softly smiles, "All you've done for me throughout life—how could I ever repay you."

I frown, swallowing past the lump in my throat.

My stomach twists at her words since I haven't really been there for her as much as she deserved.

"I love you too—" I squeeze her hand apologetically, "And I'm sorry I haven't been the best maid of honor."

She quietly gasps, "Stop it! You are the best maid of honor and best friend anyone could wish for. Or have you forgotten when that girl in 8th grade used a racial slur against me and you kicked her in the face? Or when you burned down Mateo's car after you found out he was cheating on me?"

I cover my mouth, stifling a short laugh as I remember 8th grade Darla and Mateo's BMW.

God I've been crazy my whole life.

"You're the most selfless person I've ever met, and I don't care if you're spending these days with Wolf. You deserve to have some—hmmm, what should we call it? Fun?"

Fun? She's been almost killed every single day since we got here, my subconscious shakes her head for a second, but then a sly smile appears on her lips, The sex is definitely worth it though...

I gently wipe her welled eyes with my fingertips and then mine.

"Let's save our tears for your wedding day," I add to lighten the mood, "I'm sure they'll be plenty of those on Friday."

Sophia giggles and nods in agreement, turning her attention out to the open sea we're driving by.

I lower the window, in need of fresh air.

The cool, night summer wind felt nice against my skin and so did the gently whips of my own hair against my face due to it.

I've always loved the night. It's scent. The moon and the stars. How it's dark, but still so alive.

I take a deep breath, controlling my unconstrained feelings.

Dark and alive...

Like Wolf.

Colorful eyes and bad boy lips start to fog my brain as I replay his words in my head for the hundredth time... Do you know why I buy you skirts and dresses? Because it's so much easier to fuck you whenever and wherever I want to, baby.

I wipe my sweaty palms against my bare knees, feeling hot all of a sudden. I was considering wearing jeans, but those exact words kept playing in the back of my head and I ended wearing a short, green, backless, halter dress from my own summer collection and a pair of black, ankle-strap Jaquemus heels.