63.secret garden

When I step back outside, Katarina is sitting on the grass with Aria, who is busily concentrated on placing small, white Bacopas in Katarina's long, braided hair.

I stop and watch, grinning as Aria rushes back and forth to the Bacopa's bushes, plucking them out with her tiny fingers one by one and then tucking them nicely into Katarina's thick hair.

I sigh, taking in her beauty, one I don't think I could  ever become weary of. Is this what I've been missing all along without realizing it? Could life actually be this forgiving to me, and has decided to give me another chance at... love? Something I clearly don't deserve after all I've done.

All you've done for the people you love? Don't condemn yourself so much, Wolf.

I slightly shake my head to myself, pushing my irrational thoughts away as I walk over to where they are. They both look up at me once they notice my presence.

"Will Ms.Katarina come back soon?" Aria asks with a frown, realizing it's time for us to go.

I glance at Katarina, patiently waiting for an answer also.

Katarina gives her a soft smile, "I would love to come back. And maybe you could visit me in New York some time too."

Aria's blue eyes light up as she hugs Katarina.

She hurriedly stands up from the ground, staring up at me with puppy eyes and pressing her hands together in front of her as in a prayer.

"May we? Please, please, please," she pleads. "Ms.Katarina was telling me about Times Square, and the big, Christmas tree near a skating rink. They even have a humongous Harry Potter store," she takes a deep breath through her mouth to continue, "And-- and she owns a fashion company in a big skyscraper-- oh, and she told me that she loved my outfit, which I picked out myself. What I did with the solid colors is called colorblocking," she finishes proudly.

I grin at her enthusiasm, crouching down in front of her to tie her loose shoelaces, "I think that's a great idea, and I have to admit, you did a great job with your outfit."

Aria looks over her shoulder at Katarina excitedly, giving her a thumbs up.

Katarina winks at her.

She turns her attention back to me, leaning towards my ear, "I really like, Ms.Katarina. She's kind and she makes you smile a lot. Olga says that we should keep the people who make us happy closely," whispers the 6-year-old, grabbing another flower and handing it to me.

I look down at the white flower in my hand, "Thank you, A—"

She shakes her head vigorously, interrupting me, and leans towards my ear again.

"No, silly," she whispers between giggles, "That's not for you. That's for Ms.Katarina."

I press the palm of my hand against my heart, acting hurt, "You break my heart, Aria."

She giggles louder and hugs me tightly.

In that moment Olga calls for her to come to science class with the other kids.

"Adios, señorita Katarina! Ciao, signore Vier!" She waves at us, as she merrily skips towards Olga.

I stand up straight, extending my hand towards Katarina to help her up.

The touch of her hand in mine feels like an explosion in the calmness, shuddering my uncanny heart.

"I'm—" I pause, placing the flower that Aria handed me behind her left ear, "Taking you to the secret garden before we leave."

"Whatever you wish, your majesty," she says, playfully curtseying.

I laugh, grabbing her face and kissing her cherry lips.