29.the cecilia hotel

My heels click loudly against the marbled floor of The Cecilia Hotel, turning heads in my direction as I catwalk across the lobby and into the elevator.

Clenching and unclenching my fists various times to relax myself, I make my way up to the 13th floor. I needed to look as calm and collected as possible or they would look right through me, see my real intentions tucked perfectly inside my dark hair.

The elevator doors slowly slide open, leading me down a long, empty hallway. There were no windows or doors, so the only light was that coming from the flickering light bulbs hanging from the ceiling. All the hairs in my body stand up, and I can't avoid to squirm. It's almost as if something was telling me to get the fuck out of here before it was too late.

At the far end of the hallway I could see two, armed men standing on either side of the door to the presidential suite. They're carrying UZI sub-machines while I'm carrying a fucking pocketknife with a tiny dragon engraved on it. Fuck. I need to play it cool or I won't make it back.

I stand up straighter, lift my chin higher, poke my boobs out and walk as sexy as possible towards them, moving my hips from side to side seductively to catch their attention on anything other than my hair.

They eye me from head to toes when I reach them, not bothering in ungluing their eyes from my tits.

"What can I do to join the party?" I purr at them in a thick, Spanish accent, sliding my fingertips from the base of my shimmering neck and down my breastbone slowly.

They both look up at my face at the same time, as if finally realizing I had one.

"How do you know there's a party?" The one with an eye patch hisses, studying me carefully.

Shit. Don't tell me I need a password to get inside or some sort of fucking invitation.

"I overheard some girls in the lobby talking about these being the best parties on a Sunday here." My red lips pout. "I came all alone from Puerto Rico and I was just hoping to make some new friends," I improvise, biting my lower lip innocently, "Have a little fun. And if I'm lucky enough, you two will join the party."

The guards smirk at each other and then turn their attention back at me. Suddenly the one with a pornstache takes out his cellphone and starts taking pictures of me in different angles.

"What are those for?" I ask as casually as possible, ignoring the aggressive adrenaline rushing through my whole body.

"It's for Mr.Salvatore. If he approves of you he'll let you in. If he doesn't consider you his type, he won't," he grins maliciously, showing off his stained teeth, "Mr.Salvatore, he prefers them— younger."

Younger... My body and face go rigid as I know exactly what I'm about to find in there.

The guard's cellphone beeps, slightly startling me.

"Approved," the pornstached guard informs the other one, reading into it.

I discreetly sigh in relief, until the guard with the eye patch steps towards me, putting his free hand into his slack's pocket.

"You have to take this if you want to go in," he hands me a black pill in the form of a skull, "It'll help you have more fun."

I stare down at the pill on the palm of my hand, instantly knowing what it is. Rat's Poison. That's what it's called. I've never taken it, but I met some people in the mental institute that did and they've never come down from their high— shit— they barely remember their own names. Some side effects are hallucinations that can last up to a lifetime, violence, agitation, heart attack, self harm, rapid heart rate and death.

I look over my shoulder, praying Russo or Wolf appeared, stopping me, but they don't. I'm all alone in this right now and even though I want to run for the hills, a part of me would never forgive myself if I walked away and didn't do anything to defend Emily, José and Raul.

"Prendere o lasciare," take it or leave, he snarls impatiently at me in Italian.

I force a small smile, fighting the urge to break their fingers one by one.

Don't do it, Kat, don't take the damn pill. Wait for Russo...for anyone...

"Ok," I ignore my subconscious, laying the pill on my tongue and swallowing it. I give the watch on my wrist a quick glance. It would probably kick in in less than 20 minutes, especially since I haven't eaten anything and haven't gotten drugged in years, so that means the effects will last longer too.

No turning back now, Kat.

The guard that handed me the pill grabs me by the jaw. I instinctively raise my hand to slap it away but remember I shouldn't if I wanted to get passed them, so I force it back down to my side like the fucking naïve girl I'm trying to be.

When I show him proof that I've swallowed it they both open the doors for me, gesturing for me to step inside. I look over my shoulder one last time, realizing that no one might be coming after all and without any more hesitation I step into the devil's den.

 I look over my shoulder one last time, realizing that no one might be coming after all and without any more hesitation I step into the devil's den