Chapter 4: Tension

Once they arrived near the school gates, Shin ran off, not wanting to be seen with Haruto. Haruto laughs as Shin runs off. Shin walks past the school gates and quickly made his way up the stairs to his classroom.

The stares and whispers did not go unnoticed as he passed by other students.

But Shin didn't care and he didn't let them affect him.

What mattered to him was his goal of living a relaxed and peaceful life. Back to reality, Shin's classroom was open and he didn't need to slide the door open. He entered through the back of the classroom and all eyes were on him. Shin glanced at his classmates and made his way to his desk.

His seat was one seat away from the window at the very back.

It seems like his seatmate hadn't arrived yet, which was good. He did not hesitate to put his bag away and laid his head on his warm desk. His eyes slowly close as the sun kisses skin. It was so warm. It felt like heaven.

While Shin had fallen asleep, all his classmate stare at him.

"What is he doing?"

"Sleeping, duh."

"Of course I know that, idiot. But why?"

"He's probably depressed."

"Heartbroken."

"I kind of...feel bad for him now."

"What? After all he did to us?"

"I don't know. I just..."

"Look at him, trying to get everyone's attention."

"Like Yuuji will ever accept him."

Just as his name was mentioned, the man himself had arrived. He froze in front of the door to their classroom, noticing that Shin was there. Everyone looked at Yuuji, a few shrugging. Yuuji nodded and hesitantly made his way beside Shin, taking a seat.

He could see Shin's sleeping face.

This was the first time he saw Shin sleeping like this.

After a while, everyone went back to their business and let Shin sleep.

The school bell rang a few minutes later, causing Shin to wake up. His eyes fluttered open, blinking a few times to adjust his blurry vision. He yawned, shutting his eyes as a tear falls from the corner of his eye. He opens his eyes slowly to meet a familiar face.

"..."

Takahashi Yuuji.

Yuuji noticed Shin's movement and smiled. "Um...Good morning."

Shin just stared quietly at Yuuji and nodded. "Mornin'..."

"..." Yuuji clasped his hands together on his desk, thinking...This is so awkward...

Shin yawned one more time before finally sitting up properly and rubbing the corners of his eyes. Yuuji glanced at Shin for a moment and looked out at the window. The strange atmosphere and awkward tension around them did not go unnoticed.

Usually by now, Shin would be chatting with Yuuji, talking about whatever and clinging on to him. Shin would press their desks together and it annoyed everyone greatly. But this time, Shin stayed in place and didn't even bat an eye.

"..."

Yuuji bit his lip and gulped nervously. This is what I wanted, but this oddly feels...weird.

It didn't take long for their homeroom teacher to arrive and get everyone settled down. And with that, class started and went as usual. Everything went as every other day, until English Class.

"Alright, I want everyone to find a partner and make a report about the story we read today. The rest of our class time will be planning and making your report. Begin."

"..."

Everyone began to match and pair up.

Yuuji glanced at Shin, who was still staring nonchalantly at the black board. Everyone looked at them in confusion and surprise. Why isn't Shin grabbing the opportunity to partner with Yuuji? Everyone was so used to them being partners in every project.

"..."

Everyone was so used to it that they had already chosen their partners and it only leaves Yuuji and Shin, who were without a partner. Shin turns his head to Yuuji and shrugs. "I guess we're partners..."

Yuuji nods. "Yeah..."

"..."

Shin sighs. "Let's split the work. Easy as that. You work on making a presentation for chapters 1 to 2 while I work on 3 and 4. Got it?"

Yuuji looked at him in slight surprise for a moment. "Y-Yeah..."

Shin grabs their textbook and began to write down notes from chapter 3, summarizing the topic. Yuuji blinked at Shin and Shin could feel Yuuji's stare. Shin glares at Yuuji and frowned. "You want me to do the report by myself?"

"No...I'll get to work..."

"Go on then."

"..." And Yuuji grabbed a notebook to summarize chapter 1.

Shin finished his work easily, having no problem with it all. He closed his notebook and looked at Yuuji to check his progress. "How far along are you?"

"Oh, I'm still summarizing chapter 2..."

"Let me see your work after."

"Yeah..."

After a few more minutes, Yuuji finished his work and handed his notebook over to Shin. Shin looks at the notebook silently for a while before taking it and checking the summary. Shin's eye twitched. He grabbed a pen and encircled a few words.

"You misspelled this."

"Oh..."

"And this too."

"..."

Everyone looked at them in shock. Never had they seen such a scene! Shin would usually praise Yuuji even if he was wrong! He would preach about Yuuji's answer always being right! Shin continued to make a few more corrections and gave Yuuji's notebook back. "Not bad. Just a few grammatical errors and two misspellings."

"T-Thanks..."

"Hmm..."

And just like that, silence. Shin laid his head down on the desk, looking away from Yuuji. Yuuji taps his finger on his desk, looking away. It was...strangely quiet.

"..."

"..."

It's too quiet...

"So uh...Nakamura...How are you?"

Yuuji's shoulders rise in tension when he sees Shin turn his head and was now facing him. "Okay."

"..."

That's all!?

"Um..."

"If you don't have anything important to say or about our report, then just let me sleep for a while."

"Ah."

Yuuji was stunned. The others did not hear what Shin had said, but a few saw Yuuji's surprised expression. Shin yawned once more and closed his eyes, covering his face with his arms. Sleep did not waste anytime taking the boy away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading guys! See you on the next chapter!