Chapter 26: Change of Heart

It was the weekend, school just finished and almost every student was at home by now.

Yuuji sat silently in his bedroom as he examines the little box on his palm for the hundredth time. He sighs and puts the little box away and stares at Shin's phone number on his phone. After what happened with Haruto and Shin, Yuuji made up his mind and decided to face his feelings and guilt.

He always felt that something was missing, that there something he should do before he'll regret it for the rest of his life. Haruto and Shin's relationship was fairly obvious, who wouldn't catch on to what the two had?

--

"I guess Nakamura really did find someone else." A classmate said once as they watch Haruto and Shin leave the classroom.

"They complement each other well." A girl said with a smile.

"Yeah, but totally didn't expect those two together at the beginning, ya get what I mean?" Another joins.

However, there was always that one person who liked to start trouble. "I don't know guys, maybe they're faking and this is Nakamura's way of getting Yuuji's attention back. Ya know? Make him jealous?"

Yuuji knew that was wrong on so many levels. What Shin and Haruto had is genuine, you could literally see the fondness they had for each other through their eyes. Yuuji worried for that person's blindness and ignorance.

"Haruto looks serious about it though." They continued.

"Poor Haruto, getting played." Another girl commented with an uncaring look.

"Shut up." Yuuji snapped.

"Y-Yuuji?"

"I said shut up." Yuuji repeated, more firmly as he glared at the girl. The girl was silent after that, not uttering a single word.

--

Yuuji sighs in frustration, recalling that memory.

"I'm back!" Yuuji could hear Kei from behind the door say. Kei pushes the door open and comes inside with a tray full of snacks, a soda can and a bottle of water. As Kei walks over to the little table they set up, Yuuji asks a question.

"Kei, do you have someone you like?"

"Yeah! I like a lot of people! Especially my friends and family!" Kei hums.

"No, I mean...romantically." Yuuji corrects.

Kei gasps, turning a little red. "What brought this up all of the sudden, Yuuji? Do you like someone?"

"I-I asked you first..."

Kei giggles and took a seat and put the tray of snacks aside. Kei hummed thoughtfully and answered. "Hm, not really. I haven't found anyone like that."

"I see..."

"What about you, Yuuji?"

"...The truth is Kei, I need your advice on something."

"I'm all ears!'

"...I like someone."

"Yes, go on..."

"And this someone..." Yuuji scratches the back of his neck nervously. After a while of silence, Yuuji just snaps and goes for it. "They're dating someone else already."

"Oh..."

"..."

"Hmmm..." Kei looks down at the snacks, thinking of something to say. A minute passes by and with a comforting smile, Kei explains smoothly. "It's not a crime to like someone in a relationship, but it is wrong if you get in the way of that relationship and destroy it. If you truly like or love that person, then you'd be putting their happiness first despite it being painful, yes?"