Chapter 27: Loving Since

Looking at that box was like recalling a memory.

Nakajima Touma was a boy with messy dark brown hair and grey lifeless eyes.

Nakajima Touma was a boy who liked to sleep.

Nakajima Touma was a boy hated physical contact, more than anything.

Because it reminded him of one thing.

Lies.

Ever since he was a little boy, he felt an attraction towards the same gender. He couldn't relate to when the other boys talked about dating or getting married to their crushes which were girls. Little kids were open and not everyone had a difficulty to hide what they wanted to express.

"I like boys." Touma admitted.

His other little classmates in primary school looked at him weirdly.

"Eh? Boys can like boys?"

"But in fairy tales, it's always a princess and prince who are together!" A girl said, showing off her story book.

"I'll go ask my mama if it's okay to like boys!"

"Wait, so can girls marry girls too?"

"Let's go ask sensei!"

Touma looked back on that memory, and he couldn't blame the children for thinking that. He couldn't blame them for their ignorance and lack of awareness, they were kids after all and kids were just following what they have been taught or have adapted a norm.

However, Touma felt unlucky that the environment he had to live in was not exactly...open to it.

"Disgusting." A man spat.

"What's wrong with him?" A woman asked, covering her mouth as if Touma was a virus.

"You have a weird kid, Nakajima-san." A man said to the director of the Nakajima Orphanage.

I should've kept my mouth shut.

Touma only realized then.

Everything around him was dark, it was like he was being pricked with needles everywhere he walked, all done by stares of disgust and contempt. Touma couldn't help but wonder what he has done wrong by liking someone of the same gender. It's not like he killed anybody or harmed anyone.

"Hey, I heard you like boys."

Middle school, in an empty classroom. Touma was just finishing up with his work when his classmate was suddenly sitting in front of him. Touma tried his best to recall the boy's face, but it was blurred. Touma didn't say anything, just carried on with his work.

"..."

When Touma didn't reply, the boy sighed and said suddenly.

"I also like boys."

"..."

Touma looked up, the blur disappearing. It was a boy with dark brown hair and dark colored eyes. He was smiling gently at Touma and said softly. "I guess we're in the same shoes."

"..."

The boy's eyes narrow at the bandages wrapped around Touma's arms. "...They bullied you."

When the boy reached for Touma's wrist, Touma pulled away quickly, shielding his injury and pushed himself back. He didn't care if his chair hit the desk behind him. The boy blinked at Touma, surprised at his movement, but knew why he did it at the same time.