Chapter 15: Now or Never

It was early in the morning. The same time when Haruto had woken Shin up to eat his breakfast peacefully. Haruto stands bravely in front of Shin's door and took a deep breath. It was now or never and Haruto chooses now.

I'd rather not drag this out and wait for how many days, months or years.

I don't know how he feels about me, but I'm sure he doesn't hate me.

He places his hand on the sliding door and there was no turning back.

Shin stands in front of the tall mirror in his room. He looks at his bandaged leg.

His leg started to feel better and he could stand on his own. The posture was a bit odd, but it was improvement. Hm, maybe he could surprise Haruto because he woke up early. A small smile snakes its way to Shin's face.

He fakes a cough and covers his mouth.

"..."

He sighs, "Let's go show him."

Shin carefully walks over to the sliding door and...

It slides open before he could even place his hand on the door.

"Haruto?"

"Shin! You're up!"

Shin was slightly disappointed that he couldn't go to Haruto himself and show off his achievement of willingly waking up early, but he was still able to achieve the same result nonetheless. Haruto looks pleasantly surprised.

"Good morning...I woke up early." Shin said, lowering his head slightly.

"...Oh, that's awesome!" Haruto hums, petting Shin's head. "But before we eat, there's something I want to talk to you about. If it's alright with you."

"Huh?" Shin suddenly felt a little anxious at the sudden change of atmosphere. Haruto sounded...unexpectedly serious. It was rare for Haruto to hold such an expression. Did something happen? Shin agrees easily. "Sure, what do you want to talk about?"

Haruto takes another deep breath.

"Shin, I like you."

"..."

"..."

"What?" Did Shin hear that right? He wasn't mishearing things was he?

"Shin, I like you." Haruto repeats.

"...EH!?"

"I can't let you leave without telling you how I really feel!"

"Eh?" Shin's jaw drops. This time, he was completely shocked for another reason.

"Shin-"

"Shut up for a second!" Shin grabs Haruto's arm and pulls him inside the room, closing the door behind him. He faces Haruto with the intent of getting down to the bottom of whatever Haruto was talking about.

"What are you going on about!?"

"Like I said, I want to tell you about my feelings before you leave."

"...Hah?" Shin just raises his eyebrow at him, clearly confused. "What the hell are you talking about? Leave?"

"...Eh?" Haruto tilts his head. "Y-You're moving away aren't you?"

"What do you...were you eavesdropping last night!?" Shin asks, looking exasperated.

"I didn't mean to! I just passed by your room and heard that you're moving..."