11 | 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐉𝐄𝐂𝐓 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐍𝐄𝐑

PROJECT PARTNER

"Wait," you look up at your teacher who was still standing at the front of the class. "Oikawa is my partner?"

She pushes her glasses further up the bridge of her nose. "Yes. Did I not make myself clear the first time?"

"Sorry." You mumble. You look down at Oikawa who was seated next to your desk, and the expression on his face said that he wasn't too thrilled about the situation either.

"That's okay. Take your seat now." The teacher says before resuming her lesson. You set your things down where Iwaizumi once had his belongings. It was weird seeing the classroom from another perspective— Iwaizumi's to be exact— and it seemed as though everything became smaller and farther away.

Your friend still remained in the middle row. Without her being right next to you, you instantly felt isolated and alone, and being in the back of the room made you feel distant from the rest of the class. It isn't until Oikawa clears his throat very obnoxiously, as to get your attention, and you turn to find a soft smile on his face.

"Yes?" You say, fighting the urge to slap the grin off his face, though you couldn't deny that he seemed more attractive up close.

Oikawa flashes his teeth briefly. "I'm bummed that I won't be working with Iwa-chan on this project, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got," he leans in closer to you, making you feel awkward yet intimidated. "I think my friend has a thing for you, but he doesn't wanna say anything about it. Hopefully you'll slip up, though."

"I'll push you off your seat just like how your friend did, too." You purse your lips, and Oikawa responds with a wicked smile. "Watch yourself."

We're already off to a bad start, you thought before facing the front. You watch Iwaizumi write notes down, and you catch his leg bouncing rapidly. He must be nervous.

Group projects were already such a hassle, but being paired with someone you didn't know—it annoyed you not knowing anything about Oikawa's work ethic either—made the situation a whole lot worse. It was a weird coincidence that you got paired with Iwaizumi's friend and vice versa... or was it somehow planned?

You place your hand over Oikawa's, stopping him from writing. "You said that hopefully I'll slip up, right?"

Oikawa rips his hand out of your grasp, and you realize that you just grabbed his hand out of nowhere, leaving you with an uneasy feeling. "Yes, that's what I said."

"I bet you're happy that we got paired together then."

"I'm ecstatic, actually."

"I also bet that you had a hand in making the pairings for this group project, am I wrong?"

Oikawa chuckles. "You really think I did something like that? Now you sound ridiculous." He continues jotting down notes, occasionally looking up at the board and back down at his notebook. "It's just a coincidence. Stop overthinking and just go with it."

You let out a breath. Maybe he's right, you thought, I could just be blowing it out of proportion. Even if Oikawa did plan to pair himself with you just to get answers about you and Iwaizumi, it doesn't matter. You knew better than to tell anyone anything, especially the volleyball captain of all people.