41 | 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

STARRY NIGHT

You toss a blanket and a cooler into the backseat. "Get in!" you say as you snatch Iwaizumi's car keys out of his hands. "Tonight, I'm in charge."

Iwaizumi watches you get into the driver's seat. "This feels weird. Let me drive instead."

"No," you open the passenger's door from the other side, and he sighs before stepping in. "I know you like simple dates, so don't have high expectations for tonight," you say as you back out from the driveway and head down the road. "I'm bringing you to a spot where my brother and I used to visit. We would hike up the hills early in the morning to watch the sunrise, and sometimes in the evening, we would get dessert and watch the sunset."

"So we're hiking?"

"Not exactly," you make a slight turn down an empty road. "I won't take you all the way up since it's getting dark. We'll go up one of the hills where the view is great."

Iwaizumi watches the cars pass by as soft music plays from the radio. "What's in the cooler?"

"It's a surprise."

"Just tell me."

You giggle. "I filled it with some of your favourite foods. I'm not a good cook, but I tried my best." You look out the window, watching the bright buildings disperse the more you drive away from the city. "Does your mother know that you're with me tonight?"

"Yeah, I kinda told her about the whole staircase thing," Iwaizumi places a hand on your thigh. "She kept asking questions so I had to tell her. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I think it's better that she knows," You hope that Mao wouldn't be upset with your choice to spend time with her son. "I'm glad we're doing this."

"Me too," Iwaizumi leans back, closing his eyes and letting you guide him into the evening. A few more turns lead you to the parking lot where the walking trail is. You gently shake Iwaizumi awake, and he helps carry the cooler while you hold the blanket.

You nod your head towards a trail where a small group of people are seen. "We go up there."

"Wait," Iwaizumi sets the cooler down and whips out his phone. "I'm taking a picture of you."

"Now?"

"Yeah!"

"Can't you wait until we're on the hill?"

"I wanna take one here and another up there," Iwaizumi angles his phone, capturing you on the screen. "Smile, babe!" You whine before tilting your head and grinning. His phone's flash goes off, and he checks the photo before catching up to you on the trail. "You look great here."

He shows you his screen, the sun already making its way down the horizon, and the trees reach up towards the orange sky. You hold the blanket in your arms, smiling subtly at the camera while the group of people from earlier are seen in the corner.

"I guess it's nice," you turn and continue climbing up the hill. "Wait till you see the view from up there."

The sun was almost fully set, and the sky was darkening, exposing the bright stars. Iwaizumi follows you, and after a few minutes of climbing he starts huffing and puffing. "I thought you said it wasn't that far up."