44 | 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓

GOLDEN HEART

The wind untucks the loose red shirt around your body. People flood the platform, either waiting for the next train or waiting to say their final goodbyes to a loved one.

Iwaizumi slides the straps of his heavy backpack down your arms. "I can take it from here," he says, and you insist on carrying it for him. "It's hot out. You shouldn't be carrying it."

"I really don't mind."

"It's okay," as he throws the bag over his shoulders, you take the handle of his luggage and roll it next to you. "Fine, you can take that for me."

You let him guide you through the small crowd, the edge of the platform and train tracks becoming more visible. The sun is beaming down, and the air feels thick on your skin, sticking the red fabric to your body.

"Now, we wait," you mutter as you stop the luggage beside your feet.

Silence falls over the two of you, knowing that when the train arrives, things will become odd. Maybe things would have been easier if you didn't accompany him to the station, but even so, you didn't want him to go alone.

You play with the ridges on the handle as Iwaizumi tucks your shirt back into your pants. "Oh, thank you. I didn't even notice." you say, but he only smiles, suddenly finding it hard to speak. Iwaizumi stands next to you, and you feel him tense up, like he was holding something back. "Are you okay?"

"I don't know," the words leave him quietly. "I mean, I'm excited, but... I don't know."

"You don't know what?"

He shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know if I can do this alone."

You step in front of him, cupping his cheeks and angling his gaze downwards to meet your eyes. "Listen," you stroke his cheeks, his eyes glossing over. He places his hands over yours, pressing your palms against his face. "You got this. You've been planning this for a long time now."

"Yeah, but I didn't think that I would fall in love," he says quietly, blinking his tears away.

"I'm just a call or text message away," you wrap your arms around his waist, pulling him into a hug. He stares out at the trees beyond the tracks, watching the leaves rustle with the wind. "You're gonna have so much fun, and you'll get to tell me about it."

He presses his cheek against the top of your head. The gold chain in his hand dangles around his fingers as he wraps his arms around your neck, hugging you back, and he carefully clasps the necklace in place without you noticing.

You pull away, and you feel a weight drop on your chest. Looking down, you find a gold charm in the shape of a heart hanging on a small chain. You hold the pendant in your hand and stroke the engravings on the front.

"Iwa," a small gasp leaves you. "Thank you. It's beautiful."

"Open it," he scratches the back of his head, not knowing whether you would still like it when you find the picture inside. You crack the pendant open, revealing two photos.

You hold the two hearts in your hands, one of them displaying the picture he took of you and Runa in front of your house, the night she stayed over with you and Jo. The other heart had a picture of him on a FaceTime call with you, and he remembered wanting to delete it, but after hearing how much you loved it, he decided to place it in the pendant where it would be next to your heart.