28 | 𝐂𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐘 𝐂𝐀𝐓

CLINGY CAT

Runa's pupils dilate when she wakes up next to you in your covers. She sniffs around, taking in the sweet scent of cinnamon and vanilla. The more time Runa spent with you, the more she got used to your scent—she would even cuddle in Iwaizumi's blankets when you left, the same sweet scent comforting her.

But her growing familiarity also introduced her clinginess. Iwaizumi avoided telling you about the several times he found Runa crying at night, and when he tried figuring out what had bothered her, he would only find her sniffing his blankets.

She runs her tongue over your cheek, waking you from your slumber. You lean back on your elbows and blink a few times, your eyes adjusting to the dark. "Runa? Is something wrong?"

Runa places a paw on your chest before sniffing your face. You run your fingers down her back, and she whimpers before licking your face once more. Slowly, you reach for the lamp beside your bed and switch the light on. You look back at Runa and find wet fur under her eyes, her body shaking slightly.

"Runa, baby," you whisper and pull her onto your chest. "Are you crying?" You've never seen a cat cry before—you never thought that Runa would be the type to, either. "You hungry?"

She only whimpers, the small noise making your chest feel tight. Is she sad? You look closer at her face, finding a wrinkle in her forehead and glossy eyes. Not knowing what to do, you scroll through your phone and find Iwaizumi's number.

"Wanna talk to your dad?" You ask her, and you find yourself cringing at the question, but Runa meows immediately. You press on the FaceTime button, and he answers the call after one ring.

The screen opens to a blue wall. Iwaizumi pops his head into frame, and a big smile appears on his face. "Baby!" He says a little too excitedly, considering that it had been almost two in the morning. "What's up?"

"You're energetic."

"Just excited to see you, that's all."

Runa continues to mewl beside you, her body shaking as she inches over to see the screen. "Someone's been crying and decided to wake me up."

"Oh no, is it Runa?"

You shift the screen, showing Runa's tired face to Iwaizumi. Her ears twitch, and when she recognizes her owner, she quickly jumps on your phone, robbing it from you and peering into the screen.

She starts meowing and stuffs her face into the camera, drawing a small laugh from Iwaizumi. "Hey, baby," he whispers to Runa. You watch him from the side, the pout on his face on full display. "Runa, are you crying?" she whimpers when she hears his soft voice again. "You miss me, huh?"

You pet her back and she lies down on her stomach, keeping her face close to your phone screen. "I don't know what to do. Should I feed her or something?"

"No, she ate before she left my place," Iwaizumi says, and he watches Runa circle the camera, her big eyes taking up his screen. "Just make sure that she stays with you the entire night."

"Alright," you watch Runa's mood pick up instantly. Her mewling had stopped, and her eyes were no longer as glossy as they were a few minutes ago.