Silk and Lace: AU4 Chapter 3

AUTHORS NOTE: It's the month of the wedding! And things are getting exciting :) In todays chapter, the bridal party and the grooms party split off for the day to find their wedding day attire as the day Ethan Ramsey and Valerie Valentine say 'I do' approaches nearer. The final details are to be finalised, love is in the air, and overall a joyous occasion for these doctors who have a break from their busy lives for an afternoon... this is 'Silk and Lace' and I hope you enjoy! :)

 this is 'Silk and Lace' and I hope you enjoy! :)

Ethan

The night shift is always excruciating in the sense that it is mentally and physically exhausting. And yet, once it's over, I suppose that there is a sigh of relief that it's in the past.

Yesterday was an unusual circumstance, where Valerie had the late shift, and I was on the earlies. It can mean we're merely passing ships with not enough time for the moments we often desire, or even need, but as always we make it work in every way that we can.

This morning however, I left her to sleep in my office after she had finished her tasks, and I started about my own rounds. But considering she has insomnia, I wasn't too sure that she would last asleep very long. I was right.

Now on my break, my hunt for doctor valentine had not taken long at all. As I entered the frankly always empty hospital Gym, I saw where she was sitting on the floor, and rolling a mat away.

I leaned against the wall and folded my arms before raising a brow "you're unbelievable in more ways than one, you know."

She looked up with a smile, taking her hair down from a haphazard bun and said "oh? Why do I feel like there's going to be some snarky, sarcastic doctor Ramsey comment in there?"

I chuckled, shaking my head "well not exactly. It comes from your boss, who is often worried about your inability to get sufficient sleep."

She stood up and came over to me  "that's a concern as my boss? Sir, it sounds like your starting to cross boundaries between chief and fiancee..."

"Not entirely. Being concerned that you don't fall asleep in medical examinations is definitely a chief concern..."

She giggled and I smiled a little as I took her hand and said "but as your fiancée, I worry about you being tired full stop."

"I'm alright, I promise. I had a pretty good nap, I've had coffee, I've exercised. Now i'm having a shower. Sounds like a good morning, don't you think?" She raised a brow and laced our hands.

"Mmm. I suppose. As long as you are sure."

"I am. This shift  was the best way to get some time for choosing my dress today. and getting my fitting." She smiled

"Ah yes... Are you sure no fiance's allowed?"

"Of course I'm sure!"

I chuckled and stood up straight  "okay I'm just checking. Looks like I'll have to patiently wait."