Commitment: AU4 Chapter 34

AUTHORS NOTE: In todays chapter, painful hours tick by as Valerie goes through the long process of not only waiting to find out if she can remain director of the diagnostics time, but fighting to prove herself in front of the board and the ethics committee. Meanwhile, Ethan has been keeping something from Valerie that he has to confront when a visitor arrives in town, and James' recovery process is becoming more complex... This is commitment, and I hope you enjoy! :)

 This is commitment, and I hope you enjoy! :)

Valentine

Pink blossoms were starting to wake from their slumber as we delved deeper into spring, the morning air that used to be frost dusted and heavy with chill was now mild and comfortable, met with warmer tone skys at the crack of dawn... and as I sat in derry roasters gazing out of the window, i watched as people hurried to work, as children ran to school and the early morning traffic started to build up.

I was lost in my own thoughts, my own little world that had become so crowded and cramped over the last few days that I was forgetting the things going on outside of edenbrook.

Madeline cantwell today makes the decisions that could ultimatley change my life and the team for the foreseeable future. One of the terms of Ethan and Is 'reprimand' from the board for our misconduct was that for me to become director of the diagnostics team, I would have to have a six month trial run, monitored by madame chairwoman herself and the board.

If theres evidence at all that Im not capable, then the role of director will pass on to someone else.

Ethan and I were lucky with the reprimands, considering we got to keep our jobs- but its no secret that there are people in the hospital, whether its staff or the comitties, that arent happy about that.

Its taken time for Ethan to have a solid ground as chief but thanks to what can only be described as incredible leadership during the hurricane, he's earned himself some favours- But his battle is far from over, when bloom is still determined to win over some departments with technology bribes. so, in his last efforts to win them over of course is our charity spring fair in a few days time... after that, it will be decided who will stay by Ethan's side...and who wont.

As for me, I go through every day trying not only to prove my worth to those around me... but to myself too. At 28, i have to think to myself, maybe i am way in over my head. It might be what I want, but what I want and what i can do are two very different things... I have to put 110 percent in to not fail. because failure is simply not an option... I just dont know how long i can keep up the stamina.

"Leave your lip alone."

I looked up to see where Ethan was placing down two cups of coffee and i smiled, in return releasing my lip from my insistent nervous biting.

"You weren't even looking."

He raised a brow as he took his seat opposite me "No, but I dont need to look at you to know what youre doing or thinking."