The Boards: AU4 Chapter 5

AUTHORS NOTE: As a new chapter closes, another one starts. And that couldn't be anymore true for the Edenbrook Third years who are sitting their boards, and making plan for whatever comes next... Meanwhile, Ethan worries about the new conditions his relationship with Valerie is under, V finds herself coming into mental and physical confrontations- and once the day is done, every worry is put to one side in a night where love and desperation are at the helm. This is 'The Boards' and I hope you enjoy! :)

 This is 'The Boards' and I hope you enjoy! :)

Valentine

Today are the board exams.

At the beginning of the year, I sat my residential exams- and they were stressful enough. But now? Now these exams truly are the make or break...

I've studied. Of course I have. Ethan is...the best mentor and teacher I could have asked for, and I wouldn't change that for anything in the world. But I suppose it's true, that you never really feel prepared. You always think 'i should have done that' or 'i could have done this' - there's always going to be something.

I think I'll do just fine. I really do, Ethan has prepared me and I've prepared myself. I'm just worried about not meeting the standards I place upon myself...and the pressure has never come from doctor Ramsey, but it's all from me. I want him do be proud and I want to be proud of myself.

I want to be worthy, of being his protégé...

The time hadn't long gone past half midnight, and I sat on the couch in the living room back at home, knowing very well, many third years won't be sleeping tonight...

The text books had long been put away, and instead for the first time in a good few weeks, I just sat curled up- doing nothing.

Just simply being and simply listening to the world around me...And suddenly, the not so quite atmosphere became disturbed with the unlocking if the front door, and Ethan coming in from his long shift...

Our eyes met in the near darkness, and I spoke in just above a whisper. "Hi..."

"Hey you... what are you still doing up?"he asked as he hung his coat up.

I sat up a little bit and said "did you sleep on boards night?"

He chuckled and raised a brow as he came over and said "no I didn't. That's why I thought you'd be more up to it...."

"You're talking about your fiancée who already has insomnia and a terrible track record of sleeping." I laughed softly

Sitting down and undoing his tie, he said "after everything going on I thought you'd be exhausted..."

I leaned over and started to undo his tie myself "you're exhausted though."

He sighed as he closed his eyes, leaning his head over the back of the couch "final preparations for the exams...and of course finalising the new internship requests."