Troubled Waters: AU4 Chapter 33

AUTHORS NOTE: When a new patient arrives at Edenbrook, they create a Buzz that brings some old wounds to the surface for Valerie Valentine as she tries to navigate through out her day with the help of doctor ramsey. Meanwhile, James is preparing for his first day back at Edenbrook and being oddly secretive about how is trip with Micheal Trinh went...so the friends are determined to find out what happened. This is 'Troubled waters' and I hope you enjoy!

WARNING: This story includes sensitive topics relating to loss, death and PTSD

Ethan

Buzz, Buzz, Buzz

I bolted up right from my desk in my office at Edenbrook that was alight in warm hues from the early morning sun, the sudden brightness leading me to wince and curse under my breath as I ran my hand across my face sending my glasses further askew.

I leaned back in my chair and sighed as I blindly reached for my phone to turn off the persistent alarm that had torn me away from a state of peace, a state of relaxation, and dragged me back to this office where I find myself still surrounded by paper work varying in subject matters...a formula to my method somewhere, although if someone to ask me now what it was, I would not know.

I pushed my chair back away from the desk and took my glasses off completely before raking my hands through my hair, when there was a gentle knock at the door.

I rested my hands over my eyes and cleared my throat before saying "Who is it?"

The door clicked open and I removed my hands to see Valerie, who poked her head around the door frame with a smile "Someone who can always come back later?  You look and sound exhausted."

i chuckled as i replied "Don't be ridiculous. if it was anyone else I'd send them away, you on the other hand, have all the visiting rights.."

she came in and closed the door behind her "Good. Because I come bearing the gift of Derry Roasters coffee."

"Your timing is impeccable as always." I raised a brow as i stood up

she laughed "Maybe I'm a mind reader."

As she put her bag down on the table I drew her close to me and kissed her gently "Good morning."

"It's certainly a good morning now...I miss you on the late shifts." her brow creased as she smoothed over my shirt.

"I miss you too.   But wasn't it our arrangement for me to come and pick you up at home this morning?"

she waved it off "Yes something like that, but that seems so unnecessary and was an extra journey when i knew you'd be so tired...i got the T, it's all fine."

i kissed her temple as she parted and took the coffees from the holder and i said "I suppose so. you know i worry."

She handed me one warm cup, her hand lingering on me "I know you do, but I was taking public transport early hours of the morning and the latest hours at night before we were together. I'm very observational, you know. "