Christmas Dreaming: AU4 Chapter 21

AUTHORS NOTE: The Edenbrook Christmas party is finally here! What eveyone be getting up to as love and celebration is in the air? This is 'Christmas dreaming' and I hope you enjoy! :)

Ethan

Edenbrook becomes almost a different place at Christmas time.

I mean that of course in the physical way, from the large tree in the atrium, the holly hanging around in every other door way and tinsel draped around the nurses station, to the cleverly crafted decorations from the children in the pediatrics ward.

But I also tend to notice more of the joy.

I think that's why I agreed to Valerie's proposal of a Christmas party. Not that I would or could ever say no to her (sometimes feel like thats something i should be working on...) But there is something... nice, about seeing such unity and festive hope. especially in a place that can feel dark at times, seeing a side to it like this is something i could never tire of.

After checking in with a few interns and patients this morning, i decided it was time to find my favourite student and see how shes doing. Even though V happens to be the director of the diagnostics team now, shes just starting out by herself and needs all the support shes going to get.

As i went down the hall, i was met by my fair share of greetings, and hellos, all replied to in the same demeanour as always.

"Good morning doctor ramsey."

"good morning."

"Good morning chief."

"good morning."

Each nod in their direction was met with a smile, and i felt in some way that things aren't as bad around here as they were a couple of months ago. Ever since Valerie and I returned after getting married. Although, I do fear sometimes, for her its a different picture....

Once i came to the room she was speaking with a patient in, i noticed the door was already opened, and stepped inside, keeping myself to the corner.

"-bulo...bulo whatsit?" the old mans eyes widened

V smiled warmly and said "Bullous pemphigoid. I am a firm believer that we should come up with less complicated names for conditions because i had to sit in my office for a couple of minutes to figure out how to pronounce that."

He chuckled and said "Youre better than me, i wouldn't even be able to say it now! But um...what exactly is this? am i going to die? I just thought it was my childhood eczema coming back and-"

she shook her head and placed her hand on his "Nothing of the sort Mr Callahan. you're going to be fine, i promise. but your childhood excema is most likely whats caused this. You see, lets just call this BP to save us time-"