Impaired: AU4 Chapter 31

AUTHORS NOTE: When Ethan is called away on business, Valerie is left on her own to deal with the aftermath of the recent disaster to hit Boston...and the actions of Leland bloom that have led to Edenbrook being in the middle of a Media circus. Meanwhile, James has a few visitors while in recovery as he tries to come to terms with recent events, while the diagnostics team prepares to take on their first case without him. This is 'Impaired' and I hope you enjoy! :)

 This is 'Impaired' and I hope you enjoy! :)

Ethan

The fallout from the hurricane could still be felt through out the whole city, even though its shaking winds had passed and died down to a murmur that made us thankful the worst of it was over.

For the past week it felt like we were in a bubble where time had stood still, but now that bubble has burst, we come face to face with the commitments we had forgotten about. We come face to face with the obligations we tried forget...and for me, right now- that's saying Goodbye to Valerie for the next few days.

The airports were finally open and it was deemed safe to fly a couple of days ago, and as one could imagine that was followed by a travel chaos that allowed me to delay the inevitable for a little longer. While i wish that i could delay this New York trip indefinitely, its for the good of the hospital... All of which led us to this evening in Boston Logans waiting area, where the chill in the air resembled the feeling of parting.

Valerie's arms lay draped over my shoulders, my arms wrapped securely around her waist to hold her close to me as she stood raised on her tip toes to meet my lips in a kiss that would ensure I'd miss her even more than i already would...and once we do part it would leave me longing for the next moment i could hold her in my arms like this and feel her heavenly touch.

She tilted her head and I drew her closer to my body as she murmured "Stay..."

I captured her lips again "Be careful, Valerie...you know I find it hard to refuse you."

She opened her eyes with that devilish gleam in her eyes as she angled her smiling lips over mine, brushing but never satisfying me. "So don't refuse me....stay here with me...."

I sighed and kissed her chin before moving up her jaw slowly "You know I want that more than anything...but you also know that this is for the greater good of the hospital. for the people we can help..."

"Yes...which is why I know you cant stay...and I understand....just don't expect me not to beg and complain about it all the while..."

I kissed the shell of her ear and spoke softly "I'll make it up to you. i promise."

"...you better."

She moved her head around and caught my lips once more, I could only groan at the control she had over me. the kind of power that could make me do exactly what she wants...