Loyalty

Mike had stopped being relieved things could go back to normal at Pearson Hardman – now just Pearson, he had to correct himself in his mind – about nine hours after Daniel Hardman left the building. Somehow, in the throws of war, he'd forgotten how much of an ass Harvey became when there was nobody out to sabotage him. It was still bearable for Mike to be around his mentor until Harvey took him to meet a new client. A client who, at first, seemed to be the epitome of an innocent victim, all tears and "I can't believe they'd do this!" exclamations and trust and urges for them to tell her how else she could help.

Of course, it was only a day later when their opponents showed her to be about as squeaky clean as Mike's apartment building (he was beginning to think Harvey was right – it was time for that place to get evicted). And, okay, Mike hadn't dug as deep as he could have because, yes, he'd felt bad for the doe-eyed girl that even had Harvey a bit softer than usual (read: he didn't call her any really bad names). And Harvey, pissed at being so completely thrown and unprepared, had used that to grill Mike for at least forty five minutes after the smug bastards left Mike alone at Harvey's mercy.

After a while the whole 'sit and humbly take the crap' got really old and Mike had argued back, upset with himself for missing this, for screwing up, for letting Harvey down on the first case they'd gotten after the whole mess. And things had gotten… heated. Mike had ended up storming out, heading home with files weighing down his messenger bag and Harvey's words weighing down his heart.

"I stick my ass on the line for you time and time again and every single time I do I always end up questioning your competence and your loyalty!"

It didn't hurt that Harvey thought he was stupid – Mike could prove that allegation wrong in an instance. He didn't like using his intelligence to show off or pick up chicks or get an unfair advantage unless it was necessary, but when he was backed into a corner he would not back away from what he could do. No, the thing that stung and led to his angry words and his storming out was that Harvey questioned his loyalty. Even after the whole Hardman thing, Harvey getting sued, not telling Rachel…

That irked him. That made him pissed. That actually hurt.

Because Harvey Spector was an asshole and a terrible boss sometimes but he was also the closest thing Mike had to family right then. And having Harvey doubt that… Well, the man might not care but that didn't mean he didn't have to know Mike would have his back through everything. Everything.

That was why Mike stayed up until the early hours of the morning, pouring over files to try and save the situation in any way he could. His hunger and exhaustion were overpowered by the burning anger – "I always end up questioning your competence and your loyalty!" – and the unwavering desire to put things right. Finally, just before five, he stumbled across something that could help. Suddenly alert with relief and excitement, Mike made a mental note of all the files he'd have to look for to confirm and backup his theory and then dove for the shower to get ready for work. He'd get to Harvey with the answers neatly mapped out and he'd be early.

Dressed in a clean – and only slightly rumpled – suit, Mike wolfed down some coffee to smack his body awake and a piece of bread he didn't dare look at too closely because he was sure it had been in his fridge for far too long. He pedaled extra fast to work, taking chances in his haste to get to the firm and sort things out. About three minutes from his work, already tasting the pleasure he'd feel at the look in Harvey's eyes when he showed him his plan, Mike became almost overly reckless and cut in front of a car to speed up his journey.

The car slammed on breaks and hooted at him angrily, the driver pushing his head right out the window to yell obscenities that would have made any hardened street criminal proud. Mike didn't have to be as good as Harvey to read this guy: he had serious road rage. Too eager to get to work, Mike simply waved a hand over his shoulder in a half-apology. And then he was forced to put both hands on the handlebar as said car revved right behind him. Angrily, he looked over to glare at the man on his ass. The irate driver gave him the middle finger. Irritated, Mike gave it right back and continued on his way, calling the driver some choice names of his own under his breath.