Superheroes

Harvey Specter smiled his first genuine smile of the day when he saw his associate, Mike Ross buy his morning coffee outside the office of Pearson Specter Litt. The sensation of the smile remained in his mind long after he had stopped smiling. Perhaps because he smiled so little these days his mind wanted to hold on to the feeling as long as possible.

"You really think your turning up on time every day will compensate for your hairstyle?!" remarked Harvey once Mike was in hearing range.

His face instantly broke into a mischievous smile. "I knew it would be either the hair or the tie! You are getting so predictable Harvey.. I am afraid of the work place monotony that's about to set in.."

"Shut up! I can't be innovative in my insults if you keep repeating your bloopers!" exclaimed Harvey as they started walking towards the gate.

Mike could think of at least five witty come-backs to this remark but he had missed the smug look on Harvey's face so much lately that he settled on losing this one! The pleasure of his friendly sacrifice did not last long as Harvey's expression changed the moment they walked through the gate. He took a deep breath as if it took tremendous effort to breathe the air inside. Since when had his workplace started to become his biggest nightmare? Oh wait he knew that.. Since Donna left him to work for Louis.

The sudden transition pained Mike so much that he offered Harvey his coffee in what seemed like a swift involuntary movement.

"What's wrong with you?" laughed Harvey having recovered well from the momentary show of emotion.

Still laughing he took the paper cup from Mike's hand and took a sip.

"This is too strong for my taste! Quit trying to show the world that you have hit puberty will you?" He laughed and walked towards the elevator leaving Mike behind.

It was true that Mike always reeled under the pressure of growing up and learning to be responsible, right from the time he lost his parents. But these days he felt it more than ever. He knew it had something to do with what happened last month. He was waiting for Harvey in his office blissfully unaware that he was about to witness what he never thought could become of Harvey Specter. He saw him breathing heavily and shaking all over claiming to have a panic attack. Mike's system seemed to have taken the shock well back then, more for Harvey's sake than his own, but it hadn't left him. It was still there reduced to an uneasy feeling in his lungs. So if he needed stronger coffee it was because he had been having disturbed sleep ever since.

Harvey busied himself in work as soon as he could. It wasn't customary for him to greet everyone on his way to his office cabin but he managed a small smile directed towards his new secretary, Gretchen. He wanted to be cordial to her even though her presence strongly reminded him of Donna's absence and thus the very reason he needed to consult a therapist in the first place. Donna had been his secretary and closest friend for twelve years before she left him to work for Louis. Harvey had not been the same ever since, he had anxiety issues and panic attacks. It did not work out with the therapist because she had dared to bring up his broken past, a part of his existence that he had left behind a long time back and had no intention of revisiting.

The only solace was that he was still whole and hearty to the world. Only Mike and Gretchen had had a glimpse of his disturbed state of mind. The former knew better than to mention it again and the latter was on too formal an equation with him to bring it up. Secured in the knowledge that he was still a bad-ass law attorney to the rest of the world he began what he did best, figuring out how to maximize his clients' profits.

Mike entered his office a little later slightly out of breath. "Have you heard? Mr. Shepherd died last week."

"How does it matter he was a.." Harvey stopped himself mid-sentence. Mike seemed amused. "Every single time!" he sighed dramatically.