Trevor [Part-5]

In the wager contract, Harvey had specified that the interview should take place in the Missoula County courthouse, under the supervision of a judge who would rule on any objections raised.

"You do know the standard rules of cross-examination, right?" Harvey said, as they took their seats in the empty courtroom. "You can lead the witness."

"If you're so concerned, why didn't you give me this advice yesterday?"

"I like to get my advice in under the gun. It's more dramatic, don't you think?"

Mike eyed him suspiciously. "I know you said you came out here to help, but sometimes I wonder if you're out here to make sure Trevor gets sent to prison."

He regretted the words immediately. Harvey's good humor faded, and he looked away, his jaw tightening.

Shit. In his head, it had sounded a helluva lot funnier.

"Sorry," he said, "I'm nervous. It was supposed to be a joke."

"Learn better ones."

Any other time he might have laughed at how quintessentially Harvey the order had been, but he was feeling far too flustered. His mind was swimming with the hours and hours of information and evidence that he had pored over for much of the night.

Ok, that was a lie. He had worked on the case, certainly, but the entire night, he'd ruminated over Harvey's words: "I'll bet that my associate can destroy her credibility within fifteen minutes."

His knees jiggered with anticipation, his fingers tapped anxiously against the desk, and the words popped out of his mouth before he could recall them: "Yesterday you said I was your associate."

Harvey looked steadfastly forward. "I didn't say that."

"You referred to me as your associate."

There was a long pause. Then, sternly: "This isn't the time to talk about it."

"Then when? I've been trying since you got here - "

"And I've been trying to win this case."

It was about the case. It was always about the case. Mike swallowed down a stab of disappointment.

"I have to know. I'll be distracted."

"Live with it," Harvey said curtly, "A good lawyer doesn't allow himself to get distracted."

"Harvey..."

The courtroom door opened, and Martha Mays and Monique Bell walked in.

"Look," Harvey murmured, "I don't have these kinds of conversations, and especially not three seconds before important courtroom proceedings. Shut up. Stop thinking about yourself. And go win the goddamn case."

Monique Bell was sworn under oath, and Mike fought back sudden waves of anxiety as he stood up.

"Please state your name and occupation."

Monique Bell blinked at him demurely, and Mike could easily see why Trevor had flirted with her. She was a classic Irish beauty: rich, red-hair, deep-set green eyes, high cheekbones, and a sprinkling of freckles.

"I thought this wasn't the real thing," she said softly.

"For the record, please."

"Monique Bell. I'm a college student at The University of Montana."

"Go Griz," Mike said, with a friendly smile.

She smiled at him then, a dazzling smile, all pearly whites. Her eyes sparkled. "You're a fan?"