Chapter One

Hunter ~

Hunter's usual scowl was ever present as he sat at a large conference table with the rest of Bravo team. His brows were furrowed as he read through a case file and went over the details of Bravo team's next assignment, which was going to be short and simple, but definitely not enjoyable.

"We've been asked by Homeland to take out three major threats. These three primary targets are leading a terrorist organization and are starting to gain a little too much traction among their followers. They believe once the leaders have been eliminated, their operation will crumble and their followers will scatter."

"Easy enough." Declan replied, looking over the file at pictures of their targets.

"Your secondary objective will be a rescue op. The intel that Red and Lainey gathered leads us to believe that there are kidnapped children being held in the main compound. They are the children of a foreign dignitary and will be your secondary objective."

"Copy that." Marcus said with disgust on his face.

All of Hunter's teams hated missions that involved children, mostly because they tended to be the most emotionally taxing. Hunter could see the looks on his men's faces and knew exactly what they were thinking and how they were feeling.

I know boys. We all hate missions that involve kids, but they fucking need us.

"I'll be sure to pack the pediatric bag." Caleb said without his usual smile, disliking the idea of having to administer medical aid to children in the field. They had all done it before and it was something every man despised. Seeing children traumatized and injured was difficult to endure, but it was part of the job.

The room was filled with uneasiness and anger as they silently read through the files in front of them.

"These fuckers deserve everything they're about to get." Pierce mumbled under his breath before running his hand through his hair.

Hunter reached down and patted the side of his rottweiler, Zeus, who leaned into Hunter's hand. Zeus was laying on the floor half asleep at Hunter's feet, unaware and unfazed by the tension in the room.

A few seconds later Zeus' ears perked and he sat up, looking over at the door which grabbed Hunter's attention. Zeus promptly stood and stared at the empty doorway, awake and alert with his focus down the hall.

Checking his watch, Hunter understood Zeus' sudden reaction and movement immediately.

Kenzie must be here to pick him up.

Sure enough, Kenzie's big bubbly laugh echoed from down the hall as she stopped to talk to Lainey. It was a sound that Hunter found to be somewhat soothing in that moment which was strange and he chose to ignore it.

The laughter that flitted and fluttered into the room made Zeus' rear end start to twitch and wiggle as his excitement to see Kenzie grew.

"Sit." Hunter commanded firmly, watching as Zeus immediately sat, but couldn't quite stop wiggling.

Kenzie's bright eyes and wide smile appeared from down the hall. Her blonde wavy hair was pushed to one side and her eyes locked onto Hunter's as she approached the doorway. But the second she saw something up on the screen in the conference room, she instantly stalled and took a step backward into the hallway, keeping the job specs out of her line of sight.

Hunter had never asked her to do that or told her the information was sensitive and not for civilian eyes, but Kenzie was intuitive and seemed to understand without being told.

She could see Zeus waiting impatiently from her vantage point in the hallway and lowered herself down onto her knees as she spoke directly to him.