Chapter Fifty Two

Hunter ~

As soon as Nate had a general idea of Kenzie's location, the entire team went straight to work, knowing that every second was precious.

Lainey cross referenced the 800km radius on the map with any listed locations with similar coordinates on the drive, but came up short. She did however locate names of several border patrol employees that worked the Canadian border, which was helpful.

Alpha and Delta teams set up a secured location outside the Canadian border until they had an exact location on Kenzie. Declan, Pierce, Nate, and James stayed behind while Marcus and Caleb accompanied Caroline and Lainey who were much needed on site.

"You gotta do this now?" A shirtless Hunter muttered as Caleb redressed his wounds.

"I could let it get infected and you could lose it if you like Sir." Caleb sassed without taking his eyes off of Hunters wound.

"Hurry up."

"Fast as I can, Sir." Caleb chuckled.

It's been almost two days since Miles' live feed of Kenzies torture. Two fucking days.

"This waiting game is getting fucking old. We need a plan B." Hunter mumbled to the men in the room, which included Banks. "He knows we tracked him...what if he's already moved her?"

Hunter wanted to act. He wanted to gather Intel and move - any movement was progress in his eyes. He wanted to plan, to strategize and execute...but he couldn't. Too much was at stake.

"I'm telling you, he'll reach out again." Banks assured him. "He'll want an audience, just like before." 

"So what's he fucking waiting for?" Hunter said through gritted teeth.

No one had an answer and no one spoke a word in response. Letting out a sigh, understanding his teams were doing everything they could, Hunter ran a frustrated hand through his hair and turned his attention to Caroline and Marcus.

"Update on those heat signature scans?"

"Investigating every campsite and remote cabin we can find, Sir." Caroline said without pulling her eyes from the screen. She and Nate were working overtime and despite being grateful, Hunter was overcome with frustration.

Zero progress in two days.

"Relax your arm." Caleb corrected as Hunters flexed shoulder popped the tape that was holding the dressing in place.

Welcoming the pain like an old friend, Hunter intentionally flexed and moved the injured muscles on his abdomen, leg, and shoulder. He had refused pain meds, insisting on having a clear head, but the truth was, he wanted the pain. He deserved it and knew Kenzie was enduring much worse.

"Nates pushing through a live feed invite." Caroline announced loudly, pumping Hunter full of new life as he scrambled out of his chair.

The connection finally loaded and every team member in the room gathered round, with Lainey excusing herself to the other room.

"Good morning Hall." Miles' sadistic voice echoed through the speakers.

I'm gonna fucking kill you. Slowly.

"I hope you're well rested." Miles taunted letting his eyes flick off of the screen to the left, then back again.

"Oh...I've been informed that you've had a change of scenery. Moved a little closer to my neck of the woods I see. Or did you think I wouldn't notice?"

Hunter clenched his back teeth and glared at the screen as Miles continued to taunt him.

"I'm sure youre wondering about little Kenzie...well I hate to tell you this, but I'm afraid she hasn't been sleeping well the past few days...or should I say at all."