Chapter Sixty Five

Hunter ~

Declan stood at the altar with Kincaid, Hunter, Marcus, Pierce, and Caleb standing behind him all lined up in a row, all anxiously waiting for the bride.

The ceremony was relatively small, mostly friends since neither Declan or Lexi were particularly close with their families. This day was meant to be about them and their happiness, which meant inviting ghosts from their pasts or people who had wronged or hurt them in some way was out of the question.

Instead the room was full of friends who adored them both, friends who had watched them grow as a couple and admired their strength and love for each other.

"Don't lock your knees." Marcus whispered to Declan who was visibly nervous once the music picked up.

Giving Marcus a nod, Declan shifted his weight on his feet and rolled his shoulders quickly to release some of his nervous energy.

"You got the ring?" Declan asked over his shoulder.

"Right here Boss." Kincaid said with a wide smile as he patted his front pocket.

The large doors of the room opened and Kenzie appeared, holding a bouquet of flowers in front of her.

It was a sight that stole the air from Hunter's lungs as Kenzie walked slowly to the music. She smiled sweetly at Declan, but set her gaze on Hunter as she walked down the aisle.

Her strapless dress hugged her curves and clung to her body in all the right places, causing Hunter to clear his throat and force himself to take in a breath.

Holy shit she's so fucking beautiful.

One by one each of the bridesmaids entered, Caroline after Kenzie, Lainey after Caroline, followed by Nat and lastly Claire - all with dresses of the same color but different styles that best suited them.

The song that was being played suddenly changed and guests slowly stood as Lexi stepped through the door with her arm hooked in Nate's.

She whispered something to Nate who kissed the top of her head and looked down the aisle at his teammate - his best friend who was waiting on her.

Though they couldn't hear what was being said, Hunter read Nate's lips. "You ready?"

Lexi nodded with excitement in her eyes as she clutched her flowers and walked beside Nate. Two childhood friends who had been to hell and back with each other, leaving the past behind and walking toward the future.

As soon as Lexi was half way down the aisle, Declan's head dropped and his jaw was clenched as he fought back tears at the sight of his precious Lexi who looked like an angel.

Kincaid reached out and put a supportive hand on Declan's shoulder who sniffed and coughed away tears that he refused to let fall and Lexi knew exactly what was happening to her husband to be.

She gave Declan the brightest smile with tears in the corners of her own eyes and mouthed "It's okay" as she approached the altar.

The exchange pulled at everyone's heart strings with very little dry eyes in the audience, Kenzie included. Her big bright eyes were clouded with tears and she swallowed against her need to sob, fighting with her soft heart as she clutched her flowers.

Hunter raised up slightly looking over the top of the groomsmen at his Kenzie, staring until she lifted her eyes to meet his. He shot her a wink and a smile as the preacher began to speak, but he wasn't listening to a thing the man said - Hunter was too focused on Kenzie.

Something about her in that dress, with those flowers, supporting their friends and loving them the way he did - it did something to Hunter. He felt overwhelmed and at peace wanting nothing more than to share this exact moment with Kenzie. To stand in front of family and friends and declare their love for each other. It was a feeling that he'd never felt before and thought he never would.