Chapter Forty Nine

Hunter ~

James' elaborate house had turned into a war zone in a matter of minutes and was swarmed with Elite Tactical operatives once Hunter finally arrived. Since James had aided the FBI and the CIA he was considered an informant and Hunter wasted no time letting the government agencies know that their asset was being attacked.

Axel had stayed on the line with Austin and relayed the message that Lexi and Kenzie had made it out okay with Nate, James, Lainey, and Claire emerging seconds prior. But Nat and Caroline were nowhere to be found.

Their vehicles took heavy fire as soon as they approached the front gates. Crouching behind their vehicles, Hunter provided cover fire for Declan, Caleb, Hawk and Grayson until they were able to make it up the side of the hill where Austin was situated with Lexi, Claire, Lainey, James, Zeus and a very injured Nate.

"Any eyes on Red?" Marcus asked loudly without a response.

Caroline and Nat are still in the house. And Kenzie's in the fucking woods.

Hunter readied his rifle and ordered his men to fan out, unleashing a wave of gunfire to distract the assailants long enough for Pierce to make his way to the house.

Hunter's eyes scanned the brush and trees, looking for Kenzie's blonde hair against the terrain.

Marcus, Pierce, and Logan entered the house, taking down every enemy operative they came in contact with, leaving Hunter, Axel, Slater, and Gunner to defend their safe passage out.

With his senses on high alert, Hunter's eyes soured the tree line until finally he heard a sound that made his heart swell before shredding it into a thousand pieces.

"Hunter!" Kenzie yelled desperately from the dense trees to his left. It was a scream that would haunt Hunters dreams for the rest of his life. A deep heart wrenching scream that sounded like her soul was being ripped apart.

"Ax, Ghost - on me." Hunter orders as he turned his full attention to Kenzie...and Miles. 

That fucker is pointing a loaded rifle at my girl and I'm going to skin him alive for it.

Before he could take aim at Miles, a second figure appeared behind Kenzie.

"Kenz look out!" Hunter screamed, but it was too late. Kenzie's uncle, Jack, brought down the butt of his rifle hard against Kenzie's head rendering her unconscious immediately. It was a sight that Hunter could never unsee and he completely lost every ounce of his self control.

Her body went limp and slumped to the ground, causing Hunter to open fire on Miles and Jack. They crouched and ducked behind trees but promptly stood with Kenzie draped over them acting as a human shield.

Everything was happening too fast, too quickly for Hunter to recalculate and adjust on the fly. All he could see was Kenzie's limp body and all he could feel was hatred.

A hoard of Elite Tactical operatives swarmed the tree line following Miles "fall back" signal. Hunter, Axel, and Slater were out gunned, but Hunter didn't care.

He stormed up the side of the hill as if he was indestructible despite his teammates yelling at him to take cover.

Not a fucking chance. They've got my Kenzie.

Running out of ammo midway, Hunter threw his rifle to the ground as he charged after Miles and Jack. He caught a round to the top of his shoulder, causing his massive body to sling back slightly, but ultimately continuing his forward motion.

Bullets whizzed by his head and torso, but Hunter was unfazed. He was furious to the point of recklessness, charging up the side of the hill unarmed and furious.