Chapter Forty One

Hunter ~

A few short hours later the cabin was filled with the members of Bravo team and the women they loved most.

Knowing there was a potential threat in the area that had been tailing and surveilling Kenzie put everyone on edge and the fact that her close relationships with the teams women were obvious and evident out targets on their backs as well.

Pierce and Natalie were the first to arrive with groceries and toiletries along with their own bags.

Natalie disappeared into one of the guest bedroom with Kenzie, probably to get her perspective on the events of the day and to check on her well-being.

"She seems good." Pierce observed as he handed Hunter a case that contained a rifle.

Hunters hands immediately started to move, assembling the rifle on the kitchen table as he spoke to Pierce.

"She's pretty shaken up, understandably so, but she's doin okay. Keeping a close eye on her." Hunter said as he lifted his gaze toward the guest bedroom only to hear laughter echo from both Natalie and Kenzie.

The sound of Kenzie's laughter put the smallest smile on Hunters face as he pieced together his rifle, snapping parts into place with machine- like precision.

"And how are you doing Sir?" Pierce asked with a knowing look on his face.

"The fuck you mean, how am I doing? I'm fine."

Shrugging off the question, Hunter returned his focus to his weapon as Pierce let out an over exaggerated sigh.

"You got somethin you need to say, Hollywood?"

Hunter's bristled attitude elicited made Pierce stand up a little straighter, but Pierce shook his head with a smirk on his face.

"Hunter, we've been where you are. It ain't easy brother. Protecting each other is second nature. It's normal and easy. But protecting the woman you love from a threat...a viable threat? That does shit to you man."

Pierce's honesty caused Hunter's hands to stall and his movements to cease.

"So I'll ask again. How are you doing?"

With his jaw clenched and his hands on his weapon, Hunter finally relented and answered Pierces question.

"Like I want to burn the whole damn world to the ground in order to keep her safe." Hunter admitted.

Reaching out and giving him an endearing squeeze on the shoulder, Pierce nodded his head, fully understanding the anger that Hunter was experiencing.

"That's what I thought. We're here for you man. Don't let that shit fester."

Hunter took in a deep breath and appreciated his teammates words.

"I hear you." Hunter acknowledged.

Kenzie and Natalie emerged from the bedroom and Hunter couldn't take his eyes off of her. She moved with a little less pep in her stride and there was sadness behind her eyes, but she did her best not to let it show. She smiled brightly at Natalie and helped organize and put away groceries as if she was hosting a dinner party and not running for her life.

How does she do it? Smile like that all the damn time?

Declan, Lexi, Caleb, and Lainey were the next to arrive with food and bags in hand. They each greeted Kenzie, giving her big hugs and reassuring smiles, letting her know she was safe and surrounded by people who cared about her.

The girls were busy in the kitchen, giving Declan and opportunity to speak to Hunter outside of their earshot.

"Delta team has got Banks, Parker and Eli locked in the interrogation rooms at Knight with Alpha team running surveillance and security. Nate sent some comms equipment and a signal boost so you could communicate with Charlie team as they wrap up their mission tomorrow night."